BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 17 of 25
18 May 2011 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
Thanks vanillabean and good luck in your study!

I'm on Unit 17 still, things are going sooooo slow now that school has really kicked in, I'm balancing between literature, language learning, kung fu, work (22 hours Sat. and Sun.), conditioning/gymnastics, volunteering at the hospital, and school (math/biology/writing).

Once summer starts in June, I'm going to get back into doing an hour or two of Platiquemos everyday, and at that pace, I should be up to roughly between Units 25 to 30, by the Fall. After I complete Platiquemos, I will move to an older 80's Linguaphone course that I have, and after that I will move into native material with the goal of being able to read Don Quijote with only semi-frequent visits to the dictionary. Once I can do that, I'll know it's time to move to Mandarin.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 18 of 25
22 July 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Unit 17 took me forever because I got caught up in other stuff for about a month. I finally finished it and started Unit 18 (first unit in Level III) yesterday. If I can keep this pace, I think my conversations will be greatly expanded upon by Fall. My goal is to do one unit a week for the rest of the summer, having me reach unit 26 my the time Fall term starts and my pace will likely slow down. I think that would be a perfect unit to reach, because between now and then (by looking at the Platiquemos glossary) I will have done a month of Past I and Past II with regular and irregular verbs basically, a few weeks of Indirect and Direct Clitics in the same construction, a lot of work in really getting down a number of irregular verbs, and I'll be a week or two into working on reflexive verbs.

Level III looks like the real meat of the conversational aspect of Spanish. It's where you are learning how to connect your subjects (you and anyone you are talking about, your conversational partner), your experiences and objects, and the present and past tenses all simultaneously in the same phrase. This seems to me like the majority of casual conversation. I'm pretty stoked to be getting into it!

Un poco espanol para practicar:

Empece trabajando en Unidad 18. Creo que hay muchas cosas importantes en estos lecciones. Tambien empece hablando con personas que hablan espanol con la computadora, no se como decir "internet" o "chat room". Voy a buscarlas esas palabras con la diccinario ahora! Adios...

Edited by BobbyE on 23 July 2011 at 6:00pm

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 19 of 25
18 November 2011 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
I just started Unit 20 yesterday, I'm mostly studying in my car and using the book when I get home to figure out words that I couldn't quite make out from the recordings. My progress is incredibly slow, I am losing some vocabulary but the couple new verb tenses I've learned have made it into my usage. I am still speaking regularly with native speakers. My listening is horrible, but improving.
1 person has voted this message useful

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 20 of 25
23 November 2011 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm putting my Spanish study to rest because I need to start learning Mandarin for
my college major. I know enough Spanish now to get continue getting better by speaking
with native speakers, which I will continue to do regularly at my work. Maybe I'll pick
it up again at a later date, until then, I'm going for Mandarin fluency. Maybe Cantonese
someday, maybe Hindi or Arabic someday, and French or German. So many languages, with
such beautiful and diverse cultures to back them up. For me, I want to travel the world,
so I will learn the language to which country I travel to. I also am interested in
exposing myself to more religious culture, like the Hindu or Buddhist religions. Also, I
have a deep interest in Chinese martial arts and philosophy. Anyway, best of luck to
anyone reading this, keep learning, I suspect it keeps you young.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 21 of 25
18 July 2012 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
I haven't updated this log in a while, but I have been studying Spanish again since a few
months ago. I am studying Listening-Reading style, I did a single pass through
Linguaphone's old 80's course, and now I just started on Don Quijote. I may end up using
Vocable magazines and some radio/transcripts if I can find them. I'll try to post more
updates, Spanish is a beautiful language and I hope to be fluent someday in it.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 22 of 25
19 October 2012 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Now, I am doing Assimil, 1 lesson a day, spending about 20 minutes. I do some listening
sometimes. I am consider Spanish to be a language I am studying passively, while
Mandarin is my active language. I'm also passively learning Taiwanese.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 23 of 25
19 October 2012 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
*listening sometimes -- in addition to the 20 mins.

BobbyE
Diglot
United States
Joined 5006 days ago

226 posts - 331 votes 

Message 24 of 25
17 March 2013 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
I finally got around to posting a video of where my Spanish is at. Right now I am only
using Democracy Now! to study, and using Learning With Texts to understand the
material.
My Spanish is far from advanced, I would say intermediate-mid, though. I just read and
listen, and I rarely actually speak with people. Right now my plan is to continue
learning from the news until I can pretty much understand anything about politics, and
then I will move on to novels and stories.

I've also realized that if I would have continued Spanish without taking a break, and
perhaps studied with the same vigor that I was studying Chinese... I might be at
intermediate-mid. Either way, I'm happy with my ability right now.

Progress Video YouTube

Edited by BobbyE on 17 March 2013 at 7:44am

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version