Triglot
United States
Joined 6454 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 9 of 46
02 November 2010 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
I had a friend in Spain who grew up speaking Castilian Spanish and was mystified when he first heard Catalan. To my way of thinking, that indicates that Catalan is not a dialect of Spanish.

I would argue that if the speakers of one language take or can take classes to understand the writing or speech of another group of people, then it is a matter of separate languages rather than dialects.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 10 of 46
02 November 2010 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:
I had a friend in Spain who grew up speaking Castilian Spanish and was mystified when he first heard Catalan. To my way of thinking, that indicates that Catalan is not a dialect of Spanish.

I would argue that if the speakers of one language take or can take classes to understand the writing or speech of another group of people, then it is a matter of separate languages rather than dialects.

You may have to be careful here. In theory, there would be nothing stopping say the British Ministry of Education from mandating that all foreigners who haven't learned Received Pronunciation must then take classes in order to understand or become fluent in British English. However I doubt that people from Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Nigeria, Singapore, South Africa or the USA to name a few would be learning a "new" language.

Although your argument generally holds true when things are, shall we say, less politically-charged. A monolingual speaker of Mandarin needs to take classes or at least get lots of exposure in Cantonese (with some Mandarin intermediation to make the connections clearer) if he were to begin trying to understand Cantonese properly. This contradicts the central government's (and some non-politicians') insistence that we're dealing with nothing but dialects or idiolects of rather high mutual intelligibility in China, implying that such classes would be unnecessary.
1 person has voted this message useful

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5441 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 46
02 November 2010 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
I'm from Mexico, and Italian is easier for me to understand than Catalan. Anyway, I DO think that Catalan is a dialect... also Spanish and Italian, they are LATIN dialects ;).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 12 of 46
02 November 2010 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
A: "X is a language, not a dialect of Y, because some people who speak Y have trouble understanding it, and 'dialect' means the same thing as 'mutually intelligible'!"
B: "X is a dialect of Y because some people can sorta understand it and 'dialect' means the same thing as 'mutually intelligible'!"
C: "X is not a language because of political implications!"
D: "X is a language because of political implications!"
E: "What about the Scandinavian languages? Huh? Huh?"
F: "What about the Chinese dialects?"
G: "Hey I heard this cool quote 'A language is a dialect with an army and a navy'!"
H: "There is no accepted definition of what is a dialect and what is a language."
A: "X is a language, not a dialect of Y, because some people who speak Y have trouble understanding it, and 'dialect' means the same thing as 'mutually intelligible'!"
B: "X is a dialect of Y because some people can sorta understand it and 'dialect' means the same thing as 'mutually intelligible'!"
Moderator: "This thread is now closed."

There, I saved you all a lot of trouble. Now can we move on?

(I'm 'H' in the above scenario. Now watch as the thread continues unabated.)

Edited by Ari on 02 November 2010 at 7:38am

13 persons have voted this message useful

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5135 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 13 of 46
02 November 2010 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
I presume from your statement below that, at least you could still understand abit of Catalan due to your knowledge of Spanish? :) From my case, even though I speak Mandarin, Hokkien and Hainanese, I seriously have not a single clue at all to Cantonese, Sichuanese, Shanghainese, which are considered as Chinese dialects. :(

kerateo wrote:
I'm from Mexico, and Italian is easier for me to understand than Catalan. Anyway, I DO think that Catalan is a dialect... also Spanish and Italian, they are LATIN dialects ;).

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5135 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 14 of 46
02 November 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
Oh my, I think I am speaker F ;)

Ari wrote:
G: "Hey I heard this cool quote 'A language is a dialect with an army and a navy'!"
H: "There is no accepted definition of what is a dialect and what is a language."
Moderator: "This thread is now closed."

There, I saved you all a lot of trouble. Now can we move on?

(I'm 'H' in the above scenario. Now watch as the thread continues unabated.)

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5441 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 15 of 46
02 November 2010 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
I think I read in wikipedia that Romance Languages are actually closer between each other than chinese dialects :S

noriyuki_nomura wrote:
I presume from your statement below that, at least you could still understand abit of Catalan due to your knowledge of Spanish? :) From my case, even though I speak Mandarin, Hokkien and Hainanese, I seriously have not a single clue at all to Cantonese, Sichuanese, Shanghainese, which are considered as Chinese dialects. :(

kerateo wrote:

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6387 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 16 of 46
02 November 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged 

8 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>