linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 16
03 November 2010 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
According to some scientists it may be a myth. But there are others who have specialized in finding involuntary ticks that reveal when people lie, and there are also some TV 'magicians' who claim that they use such information. But this is a different discussion than the one about the role of bodily movements in language.

OK, I'll qualify. Without special training, identifying someone as a liar face-to-face is harder than identifying someone as a liar over the phone. The phonetic clues are easier to spot for the average person. According to QI (a very well-researched and reliable TV program by the BBC), in lab tests, the average person has a random chance of identifying a liar face-to-face, but on a telephone, most people guess correctly whether the other person is lying or not.

This is not a different discussion because this is essentially the same as the McGurk effect -- the visual channel dominates and causes perceivable clues available in the audio channel to be ignored.
1 person has voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5029 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 10 of 16
03 November 2010 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
There are a number of TV shows both modern and ancient based on trying to identify who is telling 'porkies'

In case you don't already know: Porkies = pork pies = lies. Cockney rhyming slang.

It is really difficult to tell by ear that a person is lying over the phone/radio. You really need some kind of technology in there to be reliable but from what I have seen even if you are sending Morse code and you know the message is false your keying prosody changes and that is detectable and the 'lie' is promulgated in speech as a 'tell': a physical manifestation of the mental effort.

So does that mean that morse is a language ?

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 11 of 16
03 November 2010 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Morse isn't "a language" -- it's a way of transmitting a language. But veteran telegraphers talk about it as though they didn't have to "decode" it, they just understood it.

I suppose the real question is whether morse code is a way of speaking or a way of writing -- it may be sound, but it encodes graphemes, not phonemes or morphemes, and graphemes are surely the sole reserve of writing...?

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5029 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese

Message 12 of 16
04 November 2010 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
True, once you've listened for some time you do just transcribe it.

Not true that it encodes graphemes as although the method was used by the Japanese to encode Kana and other alphabets, Morse has also been used to encode 'phrases' dah dah dit dah dah dah dit dah dah dah dit dah (QQQ - with no spaces) came to mean we are under attack from a (currently unknown) force.

Also not true that morse is sound can also be transmitted as light which for me was more difficult to 'read' probably because of lack of practice. The question itself was slightly tongue in cheek but thanks for your answer.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 13 of 16
04 November 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Not at all, thanks for the question -- it made me stop and really think about the nature of language. My head's still churning through the consequences. "Many a true word said in jest," and all that!

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5029 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 

Message 14 of 16
04 November 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
No problem. Always happy to pose questions.

Splatted
United Kingdom
Joined 4952 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 15 of 16
05 November 2010 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
Was anyone else able to hear the "ba" even when it looked like he was saying "va"? I don't mean that it didn't fool me, but I was pretty much able to decide which one I heard.

Edit: Is this a sign of insanity? Deciding my own reality seems a bit dodgy...

Edited by Splatted on 05 November 2010 at 11:18am

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4932 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 16 of 16
23 January 2011 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Splatted wrote:
Was anyone else able to hear the "ba" even when it looked like he was saying "va"? I don't mean that it didn't fool me, but I was pretty much able to decide which one I heard.

Edit: Is this a sign of insanity? Deciding my own reality seems a bit dodgy...

I got the feeling that they purposely picked a man who couldn't say "ba" properly. Even before he made the motions with his mouth of saying "fa/va" instead of "ba", it sounded like a "bva" or "bfa". In between b and f (or b and v if that's what you heard). It could easily be heard as a "b" or "f/v" without the visual component in my opinion.

Edited by CheeseInsider on 23 January 2011 at 2:20am

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version