Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 4950 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 28
03 November 2010 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Is anyone aware of any scientific study which shows that translation is bad when it comes to language learning? To me it seems the most efficient way to understand meaning.

To try and deduce words from context is making life much more difficult for yourself than happens in real life for a child say, who probably learns words through having objects pointed out to him and actions demonstrated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 28
04 November 2010 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
I personally never understood why people translate so much -- or say they do -- when learning a language. I seek a translation when I need to find out the exact meaning of an expression or word, but when I encounter a sentence, I never do. Not to mention that not every word or expression has a direct equivalent. It's like playing tennis or piano and saying out loud every move you're going to make before doing it, it's very counter-productive.

If you can't help needing the translation, fine, but once you've got it, concentrate on the meaning (not the English words) and the phrase in the other language. Say it again and again with the meaning and intention in mind, acting it out if needed. But by all means, you need to leave English aside at some point of the game.
4 persons have voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5032 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 3 of 28
05 November 2010 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Andrew C wrote:
Is anyone aware of any scientific study which shows that translation is bad when it comes to language learning? To me it seems the most efficient way to understand meaning.

To try and deduce words from context is making life much more difficult for yourself than happens in real life for a child say, who probably learns words through having objects pointed out to him and actions demonstrated.

I do this and find it very effective. For certain phrases it is difficult to know without knowing the translation though.(at least for MSA.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5429 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 28
05 November 2010 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I personally never understood why people translate so much -- or say
they do -- when learning a language. I seek a translation when I need to find out the
exact meaning of an expression or word, but when I encounter a sentence, I never do.
Not to mention that not every word or expression has a direct equivalent. It's like
playing tennis or piano and saying out loud every move you're going to make before
doing it, it's very counter-productive.

If you can't help needing the translation, fine, but once you've got it, concentrate on
the meaning (not the English words) and the phrase in the other language. Say it again
and again with the meaning and intention in mind, acting it out if needed. But by all
means, you need to leave English aside at some point of the game.

I know that lots of people say that you shouldn't translate, and that you should use
monolingual dictionaries only. The idea is that reliance on your own language is
somehow a handicap, whereas I see it as a fantastic resource.

One argument I never understood is when people say translating "pokolompo" to "banana"
is incorrect, because a "pokolompo" is a reference to a thing that is a banana rather
than a synonym for the word "banana". To me, that is just nonsense. The word "banana"
becomes my trigger to a whole load of images, senses, smells and so on. So, the English
translation acts as a bridge. I don't see a problem with that.

The second argument that some words don't have exact translations ia also nonsense. If
something cannot be translated to your target language then professional translators
would be out of a job. What is the point of hearing that "obyrombe" is what you would
call a "sausage" but don't translate it to "sausage" because it isn't exactly the same
thing? Where is the harm in translating it to "something like a sausage" as would a
dictionary and then refining your understanding as you learn more?

To be honest, I can't help translating. I do it all the time. When I come
across some new word or puzzling phrase, my first instinct is to translate it into
English. Of course, once I am very familiar with something, it sinks inside my brain
and my brain isn't crying out for a translation anymore - but this is a natural process
rather than one I force.

Edited by Splog on 05 November 2010 at 8:09am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5771 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 5 of 28
05 November 2010 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
One argument I never understood is when people say translating "pokolompo" to "banana"
is incorrect, because a "pokolompo" is a reference to a thing that is a banana rather
than a synonym for the word "banana". To me, that is just nonsense. The word "banana"
becomes my trigger to a whole load of images, senses, smells and so on. So, the English
translation acts as a bridge. I don't see a problem with that.

Completely agree.

The other way they sometimes say is "banana is not a concept, it's a word/label". Yes -- it's a label that hangs on the concept. It is an abstract way to refer to the whole concept.

The problem with non-translation is that every physical item embodies multiple concepts, each at different levels of abstraction.

If I point at a green Ford Focus and say "grappon", what does "grappon" mean? If we are doing a lesson on colours, it's probably green, but then you're going to have to point to several "grappon" things to confirm that, and you can still be sure that the concept that the student will tag "grappon" too is going to be 100% the same as "green", even though you haven't pointed to every different shade of "grappon".

But if we're not talking about colours, then "grappon" probably means "car". But it could mean "hatchback", or it could be "motor vehicle". Ironically, most of the demonstrations without translation actually use language -- in primary school, when we were learning to read our first language, we were given pictures along with the words, and in doing so, we learned that in language situations <picture of car> = "car".

When we look at a car or a picture or a car in this sort of circumstance, what we are looking at is often actually a pictographic word, just as a Chinese, Korean or Japanese person would. We <i>are</i> translating, whether we want to or not.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5080 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 6 of 28
05 November 2010 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Andrew C wrote:

I find the question somewhat strange. If it works for you, why do you second-guess it??? And even if they were any studies claiming that translation is bad, I wouldn't pay any attention to them, because when it comes to language learning there is no "one size fits all" solution. This is nicely demonstrated in the book Success with Foreign Languages: Seven who achieved it and what worked for them, which you can download for free.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5141 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 7 of 28
05 November 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:

The second argument that some words don't have exact translations ia also nonsense.
If something cannot be translated to your target language then professional translators
would be out of a job. .

The claim is not that many words or concepts cannot possibly be translated, but rather that one-to-one
correspondences are often a pitfall; 1 word from language X may cover 3 words from language Y, or 3
words from X might be needed to cover for 1 word of X. This is not a problem for translators, but for
language learners, many think that associating words directly to their meaning rather than through the filter
of another language is the most efficient method. I think so too.

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 4950 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 28
05 November 2010 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Andrew C wrote:

I find the question somewhat strange. If it works for you, why do you second-guess it??? And even if they were any studies claiming that translation is bad, I wouldn't pay any attention to them, because when it comes to language learning there is no "one size fits all" solution. This is nicely demonstrated in the book Success with Foreign Languages: Seven who achieved it and what worked for them, which you can download for free.

I only asked because I'm interested in finding out why other people say translation is bad. In TEFL teaching (a field I've worked in) one of the mantras is that students should wean themselves off bilingual dictionaries and start using monolingual dictionaries as soon as they can. I assumed there was some science behind this, but now think that it is just making lives for students unnecesarily difficult.

Arekkusu wrote:
many think that associating words directly to their meaning rather than through the filter
of another language is the most efficient method. I think so too.

I'm fine with dropping the translation once you know the meaning, but how do you get to know the meaning? Do you make do with fuzzy concepts? e.g. "he sat on the X" - so X = "something you sit on"(perhaps a chair or a sofa or a stool or some other object you don't know yet).

Edited by Andrew C on 05 November 2010 at 1:02pm

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version