Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5502 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 1 of 7
04 November 2010 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
I was just imagining how I would introduce myself in Chinese: "Wǒ jiào Jinx." The first time I said it aloud, I found myself pronouncing "Jinx" (my name) with a first tone – no idea why. I said it again, this time putting a fourth tone on "Jinx." Both ways sounded fine to me, but I think if I was actually in a conversation it would feel most "right" to say my name with a first tone.

That got me wondering... Imagine you're a native English-speaker in China, and you're introducing yourself (in Chinese) to some Chinese people you've just met. No matter how you say your English name, it's probably going to end up having a certain amount of similarity to one or another of the five tones in Mandarin.

If, when you first introduce yourself to a Chinese person, you happen to put a certain tone on your name, will he or she usually tend to pronounce your name the same way (i.e. "with the same tone") in future? Or will s/he usually pronounce it more "neutrally," whatever that might be? Does anyone have experiences to share here? If you live in China, do you find yourself assigning certain tones to your name?

For another example, the name "Michael" could theoretically be "translated" as having a first tone on the "Mi-" followed by a fifth tone on the "-chael."

A note to clarify my position: this might not be an issue for everyone, but if I'm speaking any foreign language and then insert an English word into my speech, I usually end up pronouncing that word in the accent of the language I'm speaking. That's why I'm wondering if the habit of speaking in tones would "leak over" into English words in this case.
1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5768 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
04 November 2010 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
You can give yourself a Chinese name that does not sound at all like your English name.

jasoninchina
China
Joined 5040 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 3 of 7
04 November 2010 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
This is a very interesting occurrence, one that I have noted myself. First off, many English names already have a Chinese transliteration. For example, Michael(Mike) is 麦克 (mai4 ke4). With your name(awesome name btw), jinx could be something like jin ke si.

Regarding the tones, I personally use a fourth tone when inserting English words. However, I have noticed that many Chinese will use a first tone. For example, when my teachers use numbers and letters, they apply a first tone: A1, B1, C1, etc.

Furthermore, I have noticed something interesting when I teach English. When I have my students repeat vocabulary, they mimic my intonation exactly. If I say book1, they say book1. Every now and again, just for kicks, I'll throw in book3 to see if they notice it.

And yes, tones leak over into English all the time. I have no idea how to pronounce it in Chinese, but my wife(when speaking English) insists on pronouncing ebay as e3 bay1.

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4931 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 7
20 November 2010 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
For me, I feel that your name, said with English pronunciation should be fourth tone: 4Jinx. But if you were to change it to Mandarin pronunciation, it would probably be 1Jing 2ke 4si.

But that's just going by feeling...

:P

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4982 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 7
04 December 2010 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
Actually the direct translation of 'jinx' is 扫把星. But I really wouldn't advise you to
introduce yourself as such.

Personally, I favor jing1 si1. Feminine names tend to favor lighter tones. Maybe
something along the lines of 精斯. That would be a pretty nice name. 精明的精跟斯文的斯。It
represents sharpness of mind and genteelness.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6279 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 6 of 7
04 December 2010 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
"jin ke si" strikes me as a bad idea, "ke si" means "may die" and the Chinese are usually
very superstitious about things like that. jing1 si1 is neat.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5502 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 7 of 7
18 December 2010 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks, this is awesome! I love learning languages that are different enough that you get to basically pick a new name for yourself...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version