United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 1 of 30
04 November 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
At home by a sturdy desk; whilst pretending to take notes in school or college; on the way to work or perhaps an international flight; or just curled up on the sofa in front of TV with a glass of wine or mug of cocoa whilst everyone's out of the house....we all have our own special places where we like to study or immerse in languages.

Yet where is the most unusual place you've studied recently?

Perhaps you were Pimsleuring whilst snowboarding, shadowing Assimil in the Serengeti, or listening to MT whilst scaling a mountain in Tibet. As for me, I can't recall studying anywhere too crazy this year, although my Ten Turkish Baths in Ten Days (i.e. Turkish Pimsleur in the bathtub) did raise a few eyebrows when I told friends...

Edited by Teango on 04 November 2010 at 2:02pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5747 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 30
04 November 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
I can't recall studying anywhere too crazy this year, although my Ten Turkish Baths in Ten Days (i.e. Turkish Pimsleur in the bathtub) did raise a few eyebrows when I told friends...

Well for people who follow the AJATT idea and listen to material pretty much everywhere, this is not surprizing. As a side note, AJATT is not keen on using material specifically created for foreign language learning.

Edited by Snowflake on 04 November 2010 at 7:52pm

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5465 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 4 of 30
04 November 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
Didn't Madeleine Albright learn a large chunk of Russian while she was in a hospital?

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 5 of 30
04 November 2010 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if Madeleine Albright was actually studying Russian in hospital, but Wikipedia says she did start classes "as a distraction" at Hofstra University whilst her premature children stayed in hospital, and then continued learning Russian up to university level over the following years.

Edited by Teango on 04 November 2010 at 9:13pm

Élan
United States
Joined 5232 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 6 of 30
04 November 2010 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Oh, I love the bath idea!   Sounds much more enjoyable than Pimsleuring in my car.

How about studying in the kitchen? My partner and I like to cook together and practice language with sentences like "I am chopping the onion" or, in my case, "I am drinking wine and watching you cook." :P

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 7 of 30
04 November 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Cooking with languages is a great combination! I particularly remember one guy in Tokyo who was a sous chef in a Korean restaurant and sounded amazing after just a couple of months!

Fasulye also maintains a multilingual cooking log with an excellent array of recipes which you could base themed nights around and really get into the part. :P

Edited by Teango on 04 November 2010 at 9:39pm

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5755 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 30
05 November 2010 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
I listened to Assimil on my new iPod the other night during my flight to NJ. It was kind of strange to be way up high above the earth, gazing at a lovely, moonlit cloudscape, and hear "Il ne peut pas trouver de jambon!" (He can't find any ham!).

But by far the strangest place I have ever listened to language learning recordings, and not by choice, is in the restroom of a local restaurant. It was an Italian restaurant, and I guess to create authentic Italian ambiance or just annoy patrons, there were always Italian lessons playing in the bathroom.

Because, you know, if there's any one place in the world you REALLY need to practice Italian, it's a public bathroom.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version