Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 10
21 November 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
densou wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Since class does not carry much importance in Norway, we do not tend to look down on any dialect or variant of our language.

I always forget that stavangersk isn't even considered a part of the language :D

I am not quite sure I follow you? Of course stavangersk is a part of the Norwegian language! It is a very nice dialect, which is as higly regarded as any other variant I know.

I should however modify my statement from my previous post. There are of course some dialects who are slightly less liked/respected than others, but even if a foreigner were to chose one of them, we would be more amazed if they succeded in speaking it properly, than in looking down on anyone for it. Some time ago I met an Indian lady who spoke a perfect variant of the dialect of Sarpsborg. Now that particular dialect is not among my favourites, but I was still extremely impressed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4543 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 10 of 10
24 May 2012 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
A friend of mine (from Norway) told me I sound like someone from Bergen because I don't use the feminine gender (not even in cases in which Riksmaal alows them: jenta, kua, øya). and I use the French R. Now I am listening to radios from Bergen to get the speech melody right.

(Apparently there are two Bergen dialects, my Norwegian is closer to penbergensk and not to gatebergensk, although I do not have anything against the other variant).

My favorite dialect is Stavangerske, but it is very difficult (3 genders and grammar and vocabulary from Nynorsk). I did study Nynorsk for a month, but just to be more familiar with dialects, I did not learn it how to write it or to speak it. But I must say I am a fan of Ingvild Bryn.

Edited by Camundonguinho on 24 May 2012 at 3:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version