Greek
Pashto
Kurdish
Polish
Tatar

*The languages that I claim I am fluent in were also claimed and
opinionated fluency by a large number of natives of these
languages, which makes me fluent in those languages. Also
once I am fluent in a language, I will update this description.
Thanks. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Cesare M.
Canada
youtube.com/user/CheRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4966 days ago

99 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 14
06 November 2010 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Also I am sorry for what I have done bad before in this forum. Now I have finally figured out what I have
figured out and I am being honest. Thanks. :)

Cesare M.
Canada
Joined 4966 days ago

99 posts - 135 votes 

Message 3 of 14
06 November 2010 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Oh sorry forgot to mention that I do know Latin very well now, now that I have actually studied it. Thanks.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 14
06 November 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Let me ask you a question: why do you keep posting language videos that clearly show that you're not yet fluent in your languages?

And why do you keep trying to convince everybody to accept your definition of fluency instead of accepting the fact that you're not fluent yet?

I don't doubt for a moment that you communicate with native speakers of many different languages at a very basic level, but that's not the same as fluency.

Also simply stating that native speakers confirmed your fluency does not count, because in particular speakers of rarer languages are often flattered when foreigners try to learn their languages and are more generous than linguists when evaluating language skills.

Take for example your Arabic video. It clearly shows that you cannot pronounce several Arabic phonemes, most notably, ح /ħ/, which you pronounce like a regular h. There are also countless grammar and lexical mistakes. For example at the very beginning you say "fushad" instead of /fusħa/, which is also incorrectly written in the subtitles.

What's the point in posting videos like this that will only invite harsh criticism?

Since you're a musician let me give an analogy that you might be able to relate to. Would you want to see a Youtube video of someone who plays a cover of a famous song in the wrong key and with only 70% accuracy?

Edited by Doitsujin on 06 November 2010 at 8:27pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

Cesare M.
Canada
Joined 4966 days ago

99 posts - 135 votes 

Message 5 of 14
07 November 2010 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Let me ask you a question: why do you keep posting language videos that clearly show that you're not yet fluent in your languages?

And why do you keep trying to convince everybody to accept your definition of fluency instead of accepting the fact that you're not fluent yet?

I don't doubt for a moment that you communicate with native speakers of many different languages at a very basic level, but that's not the same as fluency.

Also simply stating that native speakers confirmed your fluency does not count, because in particular speakers of rarer languages are often flattered when foreigners try to learn their languages and are more generous than linguists when evaluating language skills.

Take for example your Arabic video. It clearly shows that you cannot pronounce several Arabic phonemes, most notably, ح /ħ/, which you pronounce like a regular h. There are also countless grammar and lexical mistakes. For example at the very beginning you say "fushad" instead of /fusħa/, which is also incorrectly written in the subtitles.

What's the point in posting videos like this that will only invite harsh criticism?

Since you're a musician let me give an analogy that you might be able to relate to. Would you want to see a Youtube video of someone who plays a cover of a famous song in the wrong key and with only 70% accuracy?

Hey I sent you a private message in response to that.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5938 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 6 of 14
07 November 2010 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Cesare M. wrote:

Oh good, so you do know how to use that function then. Might I ask why you didn't reply to mine from over a month ago?

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6175 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 14
07 November 2010 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Cesare M. wrote:

Oh good, so you do know how to use that function then. Might I ask why you didn't reply to mine from over a month ago?

Let's not get too snarky. No one is obligated to respond to a PM. Also, PMs don't always get delivered reliably. I just got one today that was sent over two weeks ago.

Cesare M.
Canada
Joined 4966 days ago

99 posts - 135 votes 

Message 8 of 14
07 November 2010 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Cesare M. wrote:

Yes sorry I wasn't able to log into my profile properly because it stopped being active for a while. My sincere apoligies and I thank you greatly for the newest email you sent me. Thanks.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version