Joined 5113 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 9 of 58
07 November 2010 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
cathrynm wrote:

What I imagine this would be like, and maybe this is just a fantasy, is that there would
be conversations where people just drop into other languages at whim, maybe to make a
point

Ma naħsibx li tkun idea tajba. Ingliż huwa l-unika lingwa aħna lkoll jistgħu jitkellmu
hawn.

Maar dat lijkt mij nou juist de lol ervan. Ik vind het wel een leuk idee.
1 person has voted this message useful

daniel95
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5003 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 58
07 November 2010 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
deej wrote:
I was just wondering about your views on this and the way you guys act in relation to
showing off about your languages.

I have to admit that I take most opportunities to tell people(perhaps girls more so
than boys) that I 'speak' 9 languages(even though I don't really speak 9 languages at
all by the standards of this forum-see my profile for my language levels) and I also
tend to look for opportunities to be able to speak these languages with others,
especially native speakers.
I'm not sure entirely why I have these tendencies-of course, I enjoy it when people
compliment me/are impressed by how many languages I speak/know, I'm also probably proud
of the fact that I've managed to get to at least a half-decent level in a few languages
and then languages are a fairly big part of my life and a great passion.

What are your opinions on this? Should I not be going around telling people 'I speak X
languages? How do you act in relation to telling others about your languages?
Thanks

I think it is best to try and be modest about languages by not saying you're fluent but by highlighting the skills. So one could say 'I'm quite good at Mandarin speaking and listening but I need to work on my reading and writing.' That way you show that you have worked hard but still have a way to go. Or if you have a huge list, pick your favourites and end with 'and I like to study a few others'.

I hate how people, particularly English, are amazed by even a bit of linguistic knowledge. They think you're superhuman, but in reality I just want to tell them that actually, I'm not, I've just worked hard. And also that they too have talents that I am in awe of.

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5544 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 11 of 58
07 November 2010 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
I could do with more conspicuous display of language ability on this board. I find the English-Only discussions kind of a disappointment, really. Some of the best language learners on the planet check into this board, yet the conversation muddles along in English just like any other BBS. It's like just a trip to Europe, where everyone speaks English but in a slightly odd accent. Where's the fun in this? -- especially for me as a native English speaker. Discussions in multiple languages are left to the multilingual ghetto and that just isn't as lively as the main forums.

What I imagine this would be like, and maybe this is just a fantasy, is that there would be conversations where people just drop into other languages at whim, maybe to make a point, maybe to show off (and that's fine with me), or to practice his or her increasingly forgotten Jr. High School Spanish complete with mistakes. For the readers either we know the languages, we struggle along, we use Google translate, or we just fail -- it's all good. This would be a shark tank that I couldn't survive in myself, but I think it would be fun to watch and try to keep up. For me, it would very exciting to see those who are fluent in multiple languages replying to many threads in my different languages, switching between them -- even if this was a little difficult to follow.

Penso che sia una molto bella idea, ma immagino che sarebbe difficile realizzarla, che è assurda, perché siamo entrati in questo forum per imparare le lingue straniere ma la maggior parte delle discussioni è in inglese. Ma suppongo che avrebbe bisogno di molto più moderatori per vigilare sulle discussioni.
4 persons have voted this message useful

nebojats
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4974 days ago

89 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Italian

Message 12 of 58
07 November 2010 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
In my experience, most people who boast about their language skills turn out to be underwhelming. Conversely, the few people I know who have achieved near-fluency in a second language don't brag about or even hardly acknowledge their abilities.

The most delectable case of schadenfreude is seeing a "fluent" speaker get absolutely destroyed by a native speaker.

Have you ever noticed bragging between students of a second language? Sometimes I think learners act like competitors, searching for any advantage to show off superior knowledge and then pedantically explaining to others what they just missed. I find this sort of behavior widespread, incredibly annoying, and counterproductive.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5789 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 58
07 November 2010 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
The really annoying one is when you're introduced to a bragger as someone who speaks the same language as him, and he says something that you don't understand in the language, then refuses to repeat it.

Whenever it's happened to me, I've been pretty sure that the other guy wasn't very good at the language, but stands their all smug saying how you don't speak the language. I normally just let it slide and mark it down as one more person I don't want to talk to.

But if it happens again I'm just going to start talking the language at full tilt and embarass the other person. It only seems to happen with the common languages in my experience (French and Spanish, in my case) and I should be able to just demolish them now.
5 persons have voted this message useful

gogglehead
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 5853 days ago

248 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 14 of 58
07 November 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
A horrible occurence is when a "speaker" of language X feels the need to thrust their "knowledge" of said language in your face. Not too long ago, in a bar here in England, I was conversing in Italian with an acquaintance from Sicily, whose grasp of the English language was almost nil. I was speaking away, oblivious that a guy (a local lad who, at every opportunity, informs everyone of his "fluency" in German, and with a reputation in the neighbourhood of being a bit of a tw*t) had approached, and was standing at the shoulder of the Sicilian guy. Suddenly, and in mid-conversation, he butted in "Sprechen Sie Deutsch?", and stared directly at me! Although I understood what he said, I pretended not too, and fixed him with a look that said "You're a complete c***". I kind of know what this total tool was trying to achieve,for, in his insecurity, and longing for recognition of his "talent", he was offended by my use of a foreign language alien to him, and felt the immediate need to validate himself. The conversation had nothing to do with him, and nothing to do with German.

But I have noticed, not just in this forum, but out in the world, that those who brag, tend to be at a lower level of skill in their languages, and that truly skilled Polyglots tend to play down their abilities. I know I could be generalising, but that is my impression. I just wish I was fluent in German, then I could have REALLY embarrassed this guy!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6481 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 58
07 November 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
I don't visit bars if I can avoid it, and that probably saves me from most of those situations (and from meeting most of those types that have to show off in the way described by Gogglehead).

gogglehead
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 5853 days ago

248 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 16 of 58
07 November 2010 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I don't visit bars if I can avoid it, and that probably saves me from most of those situations (and from meeting most of those types that have to show off in the way described by Gogglehead).

I kind of wish that you had been there Iversen, the guy wouldn't have had a clue what he was letting himself in for!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version