Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
David_Schmavid
United Kingdom
Joined 5654 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 1 of 7
07 November 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
Hi there,

I'm trying to find materials to help me work on the L-R Method in Swedish.

Specifically i'm looking for Harry Potter, but it's sold out on amazon;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Potter-vises-Swedish-Svenska/d p/9188877663

and I don't know where I could get an audiobook translation of it either.

Var snall och hjalpa mig!

takk,
David
1 person has voted this message useful

Cetacea
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
booh.com
Joined 5134 days ago

80 posts - 163 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Arabic (Yemeni), Arabic (Written)
Studies: French

Message 2 of 7
08 November 2010 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
I don't read Swedish, but I ran into the same problem when I was looking for French L-R material. My suggestion would be:

1. Search on http://www.tradera.com/ - the Swedish equivalent of eBay. I found over 20 entries under Harry Potter, but I don't know if they are movies, games, books, or audiobooks.

2. Search on other eBay international sites: ebay.de, ebay.fr, ebay.pl, etc.

3. Amazon international sites: amazon.de, amazon.fr, etc

4. If you know the ISBN, do a google search like this "isbn 9188877663". I found this site, but I don't know if the book is in stock or not.

Good luck.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 7
08 November 2010 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
It seems as if the book is in stock, but Bokbörsen is a second hand bookstore.

A new copy of vol 1 can be ordered from AdLibris (but I don't know if they ship abroad). The audiobook seems to be out of stock, but is of course available through illegal sources.

David_Schmavid
United Kingdom
Joined 5654 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 4 of 7
08 November 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
this has been a huge help so far thanks

RVFA
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4992 days ago

13 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Hungarian

Message 5 of 7
27 November 2010 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Here are some (the only ?) swedish online bookstores that also ship to the UK:

Bokus (in English)
For Harry Potter books: Bokus Harry Potter

There's also this place: The Science Fiction Bookstore

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5796 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 6 of 7
01 December 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
I order almost all of my Swedish materials from Bokus, which people have already mentioned. Perhaps you would also enjoy some recommendations beyond Harry Potter, though.

The top of my list is "Alkemisten", aka "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. It's translated into a zillion languages, including Swedish, and it also has a Swedish audiobook that is narrated in what I find is quite a nice voice, at a reasonable speed. The book doesn't have that much complicated vocabulary, and has plenty of dialog, so it's an excellent tool for learning. Audio length is about 5 hours. I highly recommend using this book to learn Swedish.

Also, I really learned a lot from "Pojken i Randig Pyjamas", aka "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas", by John Boyne. Also translated to many languages, and with a Swedish paperback and audiobook. The audiobook is very clearly read, the text is simple, there's lots of dialog, etc. Audio length is, again, about 5 hours. I highly recommend this book also.

I also tried "Hobbiten", aka "The Hobbit", but the book uses rather complicated words in any language, and is long on descriptions / short on dialog. The Swedish audiobook is very nice to listen to though, and the speech isn't too fast. It might be a good stepping stone between the two easy books listed above, and some more difficult books.

On the difficult end of things, there's Stieg Larsson. Again, this is available in lots of languages, but it has tons of advanced vocabulary. The audiobooks are spoken much more quickly than any others I've listened too, and the narrator seems to slur a lotofwordstogether ;). There's a lot of content in there though, since the books are quite long and there are 3 of them, so I think they're good material once you've increased your comprehension a bit.

good luck :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6050 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 7 of 7
01 December 2010 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Actually, to me the best thing about the Stig Larsson books is the fact that they are narrated by the actor Reine Brynolfsson. But of course my perspective isn't that of the language learner. (He is born in Gothenburg and does not speak in the Swedish equvivalent of RP).

If you want to stick to the canonized L-R authors, Swedish audiobooks of The Trial (Sw. Processen) and Mästaren och Margarita are also available from Bokus.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version