Diglot
United States
Joined 5304 days ago

307 posts - 479 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Amharic, French

Message 17 of 54
22 November 2010 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
"John and me" and especially "me and John" both sound kinda grating to me, and I never try to speak formally unless the situation calls for it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5477 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 18 of 54
22 November 2010 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
For me "Me and John" is a bit more natural than "John and I", which is much more natural
than "John and me". I think it may have something to do with the way we emphasize
(maybe?) pronouns in English. For example, the phrase "it's me/her/him/us" sounds
unmarked to my ears, whereas the corresponding, more 'correct', "it's I/she/he/we" sounds
downright unnatural.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 54
22 November 2010 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
The problem about "me and John" versus "John and me/I" is not specific for English - it is not even restricted to Germanic languages, so it has no bearing on the question of this thread: "How Germanic is English?". Actually the only really un-Germanic thing would be not to have a discussion about this construction.

Edited by Iversen on 22 November 2010 at 3:22pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5341 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 20 of 54
22 November 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The problem about "me and John" versus "John and me/I" is not specific for English - it is not even restricted to Germanic languages, so it has no bearing on the question of this thread

It was very naughty of me to include that bit of baiting in my post, but presumably which particular construction is normally used in English reflects the Germanic or French heritage? Or what do the Welsh say?

Because I've got another one. The pronounciation, or not, of an initial "h". Anyway, my rigourous analysis of these two features suggests to me it is 50:50.

edit: oops, just remembered that the Normans pronounced initial "h". Those h-droppers must have come over with a later boatload.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 23 November 2010 at 10:57am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 22 of 54
22 November 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
I agree that the I/me discussion hasn't to see with the question How Germanic is English but I want to remark about this :

I've heard (on the TV) by the native speakers (British) things like this :

"With John and I"

"He said to Jane and I that..."

This is weird in my opinion, it seems absolutely wrong and not elegant at all. It must be the direct object personal pronoun "me", no? Sorry if I'm wrong, I don't correct the native speakers, of course not.

Strictly speaking it is wrong. It's comparable to saying "Avec John et je" or "Il a dit à Jane et je que...". English still makes a basic inflectional distinction with the subject pronouns except "you" and "it" but many native speakers obviously don't fully grasp the distinction when we see frequent usage of these types of sentences.

It likely arises as a hyper-correction among some native speakers who either misinterpreted or never got a full explanation of the difference between the nominative and non-nominative forms of pronouns.

The likely trigger is that because we are often taught that sentences such as "John and me are brothers" are incorrect but not explained why, some native speakers generalize the entire instance whereby they begin believing that after "and", one can never use "me". This explains why some people insist that it's correct to use "I appreciate what our mom did for my brother and I" or "Between you and I..." etc.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5101 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 23 of 54
22 November 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
This discussion somehow it reminded me of Patricia O'Conner's very readable book "Woe is I," whose title is a reference to a line from Shakespeare's Hamlet:

Quote:
Ophelia: "O, woe is me, T'have seen what I have seen, see what I see!"

2 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5341 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 

Message 24 of 54
23 November 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Just a couple more random thoughts.

1. Presumably Scots is more Germanic than English ? I don't know much about the structure though.

2. Isn't it a bit odd that English and some/all the other Gemanic languages underwent such major vowel shifts?

Edited by schoenewaelder on 23 November 2010 at 11:07am

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version