Particularly Interesting Passages

Language Learning Forum : Multilingual Lounge Post Reply
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 2
10 November 2010 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Let's collect some interesting passages (i. e. no longer than one printed page) from
authors we're reading. In the original language of course, so this thread will be
multilingual. Translations and discussions are also welcome in this thread.

-------------

I'll start with a reference to Ovid's Elegy 19 from the Amores, addressed to a man whose
wife he was in love with. Read the original Latin or a (very free but enjoyable)
translation at
http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/ovid/lboo/lboo41.htm

Edited by Sprachprofi on 10 November 2010 at 9:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5918 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 2 of 2
10 November 2010 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Interesting, I just started a somewhat similar thread here:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=23650&PN=1

Here is my entry, Gen 1:1-5 in Hebrew, the original language and Koine Greek, from the 4th Century BC translation. I will also add Latin, from the 4th Century AD Vulgate Translation (which I can somewhat read):

Hebrew:

א בראשית ברא אלהים את השמים ואת הארץ 2 ב והארץ היתה תהו ובהו וחשך על פני תהום ורוח אלהים מרחפת על פני המים 3 ג ויאמר אלהים יהי אור ויהי אור 4 ד וירא אלהים את האור כי טוב ויבדל אלהים בין האור ובין החשך 5 ה ויקרא אלהים לאור יום ולחשך קרא לילה ויהי ערב ויהי בקר יום אחד

Greek:

ἐν ἀρχῇ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ τὴν γῆν 2 ἡ δὲ γῆ ἦν ἀόρατος καὶ ἀκατασκεύαστος καὶ σκότος ἐπάνω τῆς ἀβύσσου καὶ πνεῦμα θεοῦ ἐπεφέρετο ἐπάνω τοῦ ὕδατος 3 καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεός γενηθήτω φῶς καὶ ἐγένετο φῶς 4 καὶ εἶδεν ὁ θεὸς τὸ φῶς ὅτι καλόν καὶ διεχώρισεν ὁ θεὸς ἀνὰ μέσον τοῦ φωτὸς καὶ ἀνὰ μέσον τοῦ σκότους 5 καὶ ἐκάλεσεν ὁ θεὸς τὸ φῶς ἡμέραν καὶ τὸ σκότος ἐκάλεσεν νύκτα καὶ ἐγένετο ἑσπέρα καὶ ἐγένετο πρωί ἡμέρα μία

Latin:

1 In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram 2 terra autem erat inanis et vacua et tenebrae super faciem abyssi et spiritus Dei ferebatur super aquas 3 dixitque Deus fiat lux et facta est lux 4 et vidit Deus lucem quod esset bona et divisit lucem ac tenebras 5 appellavitque lucem diem et tenebras noctem factumque est vespere et mane dies unus

English:

1In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters. 3Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

Edited by JW on 10 November 2010 at 10:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version