Language Learning Forum : Immersion, Schools & Certificates Post Reply
polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5214 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 2 of 3
15 December 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
Hi, I scored 875 points on TOEIC... which is - according to me - a low score... I thought about taking the CPE exam (certificate of proficiency in English)... But it costs a lot and there are a lot of materials to study before taking it... So I dont think I will...
I took DCL (organisé par le ministère de l'ducation nationale) in Spanish and I got: DCL 2 (DCL 5 is C2 level according to ALTE)... But this one is a fully accurate test... should have a look at www.d-c-l.net

You are dealing with a writing exam, two oral exams (namely a phone call and a presentation of your solutions in front of an examiner) and I guess it pretty much reflects your actual level...
1 person has voted this message useful

Mup3t
Diglot
Portugal
Joined 5206 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 3
28 January 2011 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Doing the CAE is crucial for any lawyer who wish to work in international law. Must like your sister I also study law and decided to take an exam in order to have a English certificate. Thankfully, I always liked/knew English so I decided to take the CPE instead of the CAE. I actually didn't do any preparatory course or studied a lot, I just did some "speaking" exercises with a friend of mine which was also taking it in order to become familiarized with them.
I successfully passed the CPE with a grade C (which was enough for my purposes):).
I'm sorry for the long text but answering your questions, on the matter of English Certificates being useful, I think it really depends of your field of work and need to work with the English language. That said, it always comes as a "plus" to have an English Certificate nowadays.
Regarding my English certificates,as mentioned I have the CPE and I also took the ILEC (International Legal English Certificate) as a way to complement the first.
For me Cambridge's certificates have a great advantage over TOEFL/TOEIC - they don't expire after two years (even though I understand that the level of knowledge of a language changes tru out time).
I hope I have helped and answered your questions.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version