Groupie
India
Joined 2296 days ago

49 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Hindi, Telugu, English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 2
13 November 2010 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
I'm looking for good Hindi learning sites, preferably ones not bogged down with bad formatting, awkward English, or silliness about the culture.

The thing is, I'm already passively fluent in Hindi. I can understand what people say, but couldn't really figure out the grammar or speak a sentence properly. So, I'd prefer something that moves along a bit quicker.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 3155 days ago

533 posts - 712 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 2 of 2
16 November 2010 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
You might be better with something like Lang-8, where you attempt to write something and get it corrected. Also, reading more books would help you develop a better sense of intuition about the language.

In my experience, if someone can already understand the language, but not speak it, the problem is just lack of speaking / writing practice. It feels really hard at first, but you have to try to come up with things to say, and when you don't know how it would work, just come up with an approximation and then ask someone who knows. When you find out, then you know for next time. The process of just trying to talk a few times per week can have impressive results in a short amount of time, if you already have an in-depth understanding of the language passively.

Activation of that knowledge happens when you put some pressure on yourself to come up with something. You could be talking to yourself when nobody's around, or you could be in a cafe trying to chat with someone. Sometimes it also helps to read something out loud, and try to act it out like you mean it, or imagine yourself saying that in some situation.

Even with languages that have widespread instruction amongst English speakers, such as German and French, there are very few web sites that are going to be able to just explain something to you in a theoretical sense and then suddenly allow you to be able to speak better. My feeling is that when you understand but can't speak, it's just a matter of speaking practice.

Online, try writing a blog, writing a diary, whatever, and have people on Lang-8 correct you. Think about the things you want to be able to say, and when you can't figure out how to say it then write it down in a notebook, and then you can ask someone later. Practice saying helpful phrases. This is the stuff that has helped me with activation.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version