Groupie
United States
Joined 5394 days ago

56 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 6
14 November 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently living in Bogotá, Colombia, in an appartment with 3 other people. 2 of
these people are Colombians, and both have very good English. One is dating a
Lithuanian girl.

This girl speaks Lithuanian, Russian, English, and is learning Spanish.

Her Russian is better than her English, and her English, while not perfect, is
definitely fluent. She studied for 2 years in a university in the UK, so that should
give you some idea of her level.

But her Spanish is pretty awful. She has been dating a Colombian guy for a while, and
has been living in Colombia for a few months, but really she isn't taking Spanish
seriously at all, and always talks to everyone in the house in English. In fact, I
probably make her speak more Spanish than the Colombians do, because to them it's a
great opportunity to practice their English.

I was always under the impression that as one learned more languages, the whole process
of learning became easier. I wonder how many languages one could learn without really
ever getting "good" at learning languages...

Edited by JacobTM on 14 November 2010 at 6:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5654 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 2 of 6
14 November 2010 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
If someone does not speak languages well, they are not a polyglot.

Tropi
Diglot
Groupie
Austria
Joined 5227 days ago

67 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 6
14 November 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Well she was probably raised bilingual so Lithunian and Russian are her first languages. So she will be totally fluent in these but will be unaware of the grammar unless she studied it. Like kids: They speak a language perfectly well but they won't be able to explain why something is wrong or right.

So English is her first foreign language, which is rather easy to learn. There are tons of material and you are confronted with English in your daily life. The grammar is easy, you can practice nearly with everyone, you learn it at school. You don't have to be a language expert to pick up at least a basic level of English.

And for the Spanish thing: Since she is fluent in 3 languages she might not feel comfortable in speaking a language in which she knows just a few words. Of course it's contra productive but I think we all have missed a chance to talk to a native speaker of our target language because we where too shy and didn't want to embarrass ourselves.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
15 November 2010 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
I would find it idiotic to live so close to people who speak another language without trying to learn it properly, - especially if you already have taken the initial steps.

But I don't find it strange that you might want to learn some languages well while neglecting others. For instance I can read both Ancient French and Ancient Occitan, but I have concluded that that I don't have the proper resources to 'activate' those languages. If I had those resources I would definitely want to lift them to at least basic fluency. I have also some basic knowledge about several Slavic languages, but right now I don't have time to study them properly. But if I had native speakers around me I would definitely use the opportunity.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5465 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 6
15 November 2010 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
JacobTM wrote:

I was always under the impression that as one learned more languages, the whole process
of learning became easier. I wonder how many languages one could learn without really
ever getting "good" at learning languages...

Easier, yes, but still a lot of work.Assuming that polyglots have it easy, or are
"gifted", underplays the tremendous hard work they continue to put in to their
languages. Look at Luca, for example, who speaks a wide range of languages to a very
high level. He has stated it takes him about two years of hard work to reach high
levels in a new language.

Plus, if she isn't interested in Spanish, I don't see a problem. To me, it is a bit
like saying "this guy is great at playing the guitar, but sucks at playing the piano".
Maybe she just isn't interested in undertaking the long journey and immense effort that
learning Spanish would require.
9 persons have voted this message useful

litovec
Tetraglot
Groupie
Switzerland
lingvometer.com
Joined 4927 days ago

42 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: German, Russian, French, English

Message 6 of 6
15 November 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
I agree with Tropi, she must have acquired Lithuanian and Russian in a billingual environment and was drilled in English during the whole schooltime and later on at the university. Thus, it might have taken 10+ years for her to achieve the fluency in English.
So, she needs her time to learn Spanish properly given the lack of motivation and probably some psychological barriers.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version