LLF
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5396 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 10
16 November 2010 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know of a Windows based program that gives practise in the declension of Russian nouns and adjectives ? I have found some web-based stuff, but I'd prefer something standalone.
1 person has voted this message useful

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4930 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 2 of 10
27 November 2010 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
I don't know if such a software exist, but if you're ready to invest in books (you can find the PDF on the Internet), "The Case Book for Russian" by Laura A. Janda and Steve, J. Clancy is brilliant, and offers complete explanations for each case, as well as three level of exercices, unfortunately without the answers, so having a native handy may be useful!

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5337 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 3 of 10
27 November 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
The SlovoEd disctionary, which exists at least on the iphone, but possible on a pc, has morphology tables. Still, adjectives is not much to practice, it's very regular. Nouns a little less so, but you should probably concentrate your efforts on verb conjugation, that's when it gets complicated.

LLF
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5396 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 

Message 4 of 10
02 December 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Préposition wrote:
I don't know if such a software exist, but if you're ready to invest in books (you can find the PDF on the Internet), "The Case Book for Russian" by Laura A. Janda and Steve, J. Clancy is brilliant, and offers complete explanations for each case, as well as three level of exercices, unfortunately without the answers, so having a native handy may be useful!

Thanks. I may take a look at it. No answers, though ? Hmm. Doesn't sound too useful. I'd prefer a decent software based solution, but I can't find one. I may have to write one myself.

LLF
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5396 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 

Message 5 of 10
02 December 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
The SlovoEd disctionary, which exists at least on the iphone, but possible on a pc, has morphology tables. Still, adjectives is not much to practice, it's very regular. Nouns a little less so, but you should probably concentrate your efforts on verb conjugation, that's when it gets complicated.

Thanks, but I think I know what I need to practise, and right now it's adjective/noun declensions. I'm not sure I see too many difficulties in verb conjugations in Russian; I would have considered the Russian verb to be one of the most straightforward parts of the language (aspect apart, of course).

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5337 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 

Message 6 of 10
02 December 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
LLF wrote:

Thanks, but I think I know what I need to practise [...] I would have considered the Russian verb to be one of the most straightforward parts of the language

I think you obviously don't know what you need to practice. But it's not my problem, I was just trying to help.

LLF
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5396 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 

Message 7 of 10
02 December 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
LLF wrote:

Thanks, but I think I know what I need to practise [...] I would have considered the Russian verb to be one of the most straightforward parts of the language

I think you obviously don't know what you need to practice.

That would be fairly odd, wouldn't it ?

I guess your comment is some kind of veiled way of trying to disagree with my characterisation of the Russian verbal system, and if so, I'm keen to hear why you disagree. As far as I can tell, Russian verb conjugations are relatively straightforward; there are fewer tenses than in the other languages I know. There is, indeed, a lot of work required to learn all of the aspectual pairs, and their usage, and to learn the verbs of motion. But that's a matter of exposing oneself to as much language as possible, rather a vast conceptual problem.

What other difficulties are you thinking of ?

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5337 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 

Message 8 of 10
02 December 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
LLF wrote:
Gusutafu wrote:
LLF wrote:

I think you obviously don't know what you need to practice.

That would be fairly odd, wouldn't it ?

I guess your comment is some kind of veiled way of trying to disagree with my characterisation of the Russian verbal system, and if so, I'm keen to hear why you disagree. As far as I can tell, Russian verb conjugations are relatively straightforward; there are fewer tenses than in the other languages I know. There is, indeed, a lot of work required to learn all of the aspectual pairs, and their usage, and to learn the verbs of motion. But that's a matter of exposing oneself to as much language as possible, rather a vast conceptual problem.

What other difficulties are you thinking of ?

Aspect is pretty simple conceptually but takes a while to get used to. Verbs of motion is a pretty large subject, but what I have in mind is conjugation. There are two general groups of conjugation, which are quite similar, but the devil is in the details so in reality there is around two dozen distinct conjugations, if I remember correctly. Consonants alter and accents move. If you add this to aspect and and verbs of motion, it's pretty messy.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version