Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4932 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 1 of 9
17 November 2010 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
For trivia, I always search about writers - I like books. Many were genial polyglots.
Jorge Luís Borges was a prodigy in languages at childhood. At seix years he learned
English and translated Oscar Wilde´s "Happy Prince" to Spanish at ten years. He learned
German only with help of a dictionary and Heine´s poems. He spoke Spanish, English,
French, German, Italian, Latin, Old Norse, Middle English, Anglo-Saxon and maybe
Portuguese, beyond having studied Japanese.
The Brazilian writer Guimarães Rosa also: He spoke seven languages - German, French,
English, Spanish, Italian, Esperanto and Russian - and had minor knowledge in four -
Dutch, Swedish, Latin and Greek.
Other polyglot writers:

*Edgar Allan Poe: English, French, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Latin, Arabic and Hebrew.
*Lope de Vega: Spanish, Latin, French, Italian, Greek and Portuguese.
*John Milton: English, French, German, Italian, Greek, Latin, Hebrew and Dutch.
*Anthony Burgess: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Malay, Welsh,
Chinese, Japanese, Persian, Hebrew and Swedish

1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5131 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 2 of 9
17 November 2010 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
The Colombian philosopher Nicolás Gómez Dávila. It is said his personal library of thousands of volumes contained books in some 14 languages, making it impossible to find a buyer for it as a whole after his death, given that very few people would be capable of understanding any given percentage of it. It was finally donated to Bogota's main public library. I should probably seek to visit and peruse it some day.

Interestingly with regards to language, Italian and German intellectuals among whom Davila's work has gained appreciation have resorted to learning Spanish in order to read his aphorisms in the original, as much of its genius is hopelessly untranslatable.

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4932 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 

Message 3 of 9
17 November 2010 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Dávila. He was a reaccionary. I knew him, but it isn´t informartions about him in the
internet.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5131 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 4 of 9
17 November 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Here's a picture of him in his library:

An excerpt about his language interests:

Quote:

Su biblioteca y las cumbres intelectuales

Desde la más temprana edad comenzó a formar su biblioteca y llegó a acumular cerca de 30.000 volúmenes. En ella se encuentran las grandes obras del pensamiento occidental desde la época de los griegos, especialmente en áreas relacionadas con la arqueología, la historia, la filosofía, la literatura, la poesía, el arte, la religión y en general las humanidades. Hay algunos libros relacionados con las ciencias naturales y la filosofía de la ciencia. También hay libros relacionados con la filosofía y las religiones orientales. Don Nicolás conocía muy bien el latín, el griego, el inglés, el francés, el Italiano y el alemán, y su biblioteca tiene muchas obras en esos idiomas. Están también varios de los clásicos españoles y las obras completas de escritores como Meléndez Pelayo y Borges. Para poder leer a Kierkegaard en el original estudió la gramática del danés y avanzó en el aprendizaje del ruso para poder leer a Tolstoi y Dostoievski. También le interesaba mucho el pensamiento del filósofo ruso Konstantin Leontiev (1831-1891) y tenía sus obras en el idioma original.

According to an acquaintance of mine in his library there were books in oriental languages as well, particularly Sanskrit.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4932 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 

Message 5 of 9
21 December 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I liked these informations about Gomez Dávila. I always liked his story. Thank you
Juan!!!

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6654 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 6 of 9
25 December 2010 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Gorgoll2 wrote:

*Edgar Allan Poe: English, French, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Latin, Arabic and Hebrew.

Where did you find this out about Poe? I'd like to read more about it if it's true.

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4932 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 

Message 7 of 9
26 December 2010 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
The informations about Poe were gotten
fromNotable Polyglots - Eddie
Donovan
. But, I found few information about his skills:
Poe´s Wordlist.
I´m not sure of his abilities, so I´m sorry.

Adamdm
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5223 days ago

62 posts - 89 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Dari, German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 9
23 February 2011 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Well, here are some who might qualify:
Vladimir Nabokov (a great novelist in Russian and then in English, fluent from childhood in French, I don't know what else);
Khushwant Singh - novels in English, but, like most educated Indians, no doubt knows a heap of Indian languages.
What counts as a "writer"?
Bertrand Russell apparently _averaged_ writing three thousand words a day over 50 years, so he must be a writer! As for polyglot, research is needed, but I think he had a few languages, as did
Australian philoopher (and poet, so therefore "writer") A. D. Hope.
Scientist Hugo deVries has books (so he's a writer too, even though they aren't novels) written by him in Dutch, German, French and English (I have seen them at the library where I work).
There is an interesting anecdote in Simon Winchester's biography of sinologist Joseph Needham, who, in later life, was speaking to a Russian scientist in his (Needham's) office: the Russian sees a copy of his (the Russian's) book, in English, on Needham's shelves, and enquires who the translator was. Needham opens the book, and finds that he was its translator, when he was an undergraduate.
Of younger generations, Nicholas Awde has, as well as dictionaries and phrase-books etc of numerous languages, written a few novels too.

Edited by Adamdm on 23 February 2011 at 7:14am

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version