Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 9
18 November 2010 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Going through some of the discussions on the forum, I was struck by the variety in how well we know the culture of the countries next to us. I bet Mexicans and Canadians know American culture quite well, wheras the opposite is not neccesarily the case. In our case, most Norwegians know very little about Danish culture (apart from H.C. Andersen, Povel Ramel and Eddie Skoller), we know very little about Finnish culture (apart from Arja Sajonmaa and Sibelius) from Russia we know the classics within literature and music (we might even have read and listened to quite a lot of it) but would not be able to name a pop singer to save our life.

But Sweden - Sweden we know like the palm of our hand - at least those of my generation do. We grew up with the fantastic world of Astrid Lindgren: Pippi Langstrømpe, Vi på Saltkråkan ("Farbror Melker hvarför badar ni alltid med kläderna på"), Emil i Lønnberga, we sang songs from Gluntarne, and loved all the songs by Evert Taube ("Samborombom en litan by forutan gata, den ligger inte långt från Rio de La Plata...")and sang "I do, I do, I do along with Abba. Every Christmas I must see the Disney films in Swedish, or my Christmas is ruined, and August Strindberg is as well known to us as Ibsen. The Millennium Saga has been seen and read by half of Norway, and Jan Guillou is a household name.

I doubt that the Swedes know our culture that well, but I am willing to be surprised :-).

How about the rest of you? Which of your neighbours do you know well?
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5273 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 2 of 9
18 November 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Not so easy for us Brits. Our closest neighbours are Ireland and France but I think
most people could only name a few famous Irish people and would struggle to come up
with even a single famous Frenchman or woman.

On the other hand, everyone knows much much more about the big neighbour over the
Atlantic. I remember as a child I used to complain about being English rather than
American since everything just seemed so much cooler over there.

It's all bound up with language for the people of the UK. Most people are quite
familiar with Australian popular culture, despite being a 24-hour flight away, and yet
don't have a clue what's going on in France, Belgium, and Holland, all of which can be
reached in a couple of hours.

Maybe the fact that we are an island contributes too. Even now going abroad is a big
deal to a Brit, requiring time and planning. When I lived in Vienna I loved the fact
that I could just jump on a train and pop over to Slovakia to buy cheap cigarettes and
beer, and maybe if we shared a land border with another country our outlook would be
different.

tomsawyer
Aruba
Joined 5096 days ago

103 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: GermanB1, French, Russian

Message 3 of 9
18 November 2010 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
It's an interesting situation in Australia. We're surrounded by rich Eastern cultures, yet for the most part, Australians wouldn't have a clue about the history, culture or social norms of our neighbouring countries, let alone be able to point them out on a map.

On the contrary, everybody knows of famous American people, their current events, and their general way of life, perhaps because we identify with them so well. The British Royal Family come up in the news once every couple of months, and a lot of British sitcoms are played here on television, which mainly appeal to the older generations.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 9
19 November 2010 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
I have TV from many countries, and because I use news broadcasts to learn languages or keep them alive I do actually know some general things about the politics and culture of those countries (unfortunately I now only have one Norwegian TV channel). I have also read a lot about geography and history, including those of my neighbouring countries, and I read local newspapers whenever I travel somewhere. But from there to knowing all the local pop singers, minor politicians, murderers and authors there is a wide margin. So I would not be able to enter a discussion about current affairs with locals without being caught out on things they thought were common knowledge.

PS: here in Denmark we blame the Swedes for Povel Ramel

Edited by Iversen on 19 November 2010 at 12:35am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 5 of 9
19 November 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have TV from many countries, and because I use news broadcasts to learn languages or keep them alive I do actually know some general things about the politics and culture of those countries (unfortunately I now only have one Norwegian TV channel). I have also read a lot about geography and history, including those of my neighbouring countries, and I read local newspapers whenever I travel somewhere. But from there to knowing all the local pop singers, minor politicians, murderers and authors there is a wide margin. So I would not be able to enter a discussion about current affairs with locals without being caught out on things they thought were common knowledge.

PS: here in Denmark we blame the Swedes for Povel Ramel

I am so sorry, of course he is. He and our own Wenche Myhre used to do acts together, and they were most definitely in Swedish/Norwegian. My only excuse was that I asked my husband for extra Danish names, because I struggled to come up with anything, and when he mentioned Povel Ramel, I guess my brain just registred that it was a familiar name, and I noted it down without pausing to think about the fact that he is indeed Swedish. My appologies to both Swedes and Danes.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
19 November 2010 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Apology accepted. Actually both Wenche Myhre and Povel Ramel belongs to the category of knowledge about our neighbours that I could do without, - and that extends to their Danish counterparts. The only thing worse than Povel Ramel is Evert Taube. Well, on second thought maybe not - there is competition: a Danish TV station DK4 is actively promoting German Schlager-Musik, which also is against my fundamental principles and at least as disgusting as Evert Taube. That's also my opinion about American rap and hiphop and French musette musique and Greek Buzuki and Japanese pop and African songs and broccoli. Well, I have never claimed to have a particularly broad taste in music. Or vegetables.

By the way: one of my favorite Norwegian TV programs is "Parlamentet", even though I haven't got a clue about the things they are discussing.

Edited by Iversen on 20 November 2010 at 12:46pm

Arti
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6821 days ago

130 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: French, Czech

Message 7 of 9
19 November 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
From Russian point of view I can say that people know only Ukraine and Belarus. (taking into account the number of neighbours from USA and North Korea to Finland and Poland) We have the same cultural identification and the same cultural "space" - all pop and rock stars are the same, all the main foreign news in Russia are about these countries etc. Ukraine and Belarus are the only countries where you can go with Russian ID, so it's simply obvious that we know each other very well.

Other ex-Soviet republics disappeared from this "space" for many different reasons. In some cases like with Georgia and Baltic states, it is politics, with Central Asian republics it's just different culture, they are Muslim and I'm pretty sure they won't listen to rock, pop and other "western" things.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 8 of 9
19 November 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Arti wrote:
From Russian point of view I can say that people know only Ukraine and Belarus. (taking into account the number of neighbours from USA and North Korea to Finland and Poland) We have the same cultural identification and the same cultural "space" - all pop and rock stars are the same, all the main foreign news in Russia are about these countries etc. Ukraine and Belarus are the only countries where you can go with Russian ID, so it's simply obvious that we know each other very well.

Other ex-Soviet republics disappeared from this "space" for many different reasons. In some cases like with Georgia and Baltic states, it is politics, with Central Asian republics it's just different culture, they are Muslim and I'm pretty sure they won't listen to rock, pop and other "western" things.

I therefore assume that Russians' knowledge about their "sosedi" in the North-West, Norway,is non-existant?

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version