Joined 5607 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 42
19 November 2010 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
For me personally useless: Ancient Greek. I learned it at school but couldn't use it for anything.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 19 November 2010 at 9:26am

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 42
19 November 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
Some would say that Norwegian and Swedish are useless for Danes because we are supposed to understand each other. But experience has shown that it is an unreliable understanding unless you have at least substantial passive knowledge about the other languages. And then you can in my opinion just as well go the whole way and learn them properly.

Some would say that active Latin, Old Greek etc. are useless, but actually being able to think and write at least Latin is the one factor that hopefully will allow me to keep it alive. Contrary to the period after my Romance studies where I only had learnt it as a passive language and lost it due to lack of use.

Some would say that Low German and Scots and Irish are useless because even the local populations speak something else. But knowing them gives me an additional bond with the local cultures, and besides I find them interesting in their own right as alternatives to the more popular High German and (socalled) British English.

Some would even say that Danish is useless for Danes because we were better off speaking English like everybody else (actually one of my collegues has said this). But weirdos like us are the ones that keep this world variated and interesting.

And as I have already said: if I can find pleasure in working on some project then that's a justification in itself for doing it.   

Edited by Iversen on 19 November 2010 at 4:42pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6543 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 42
19 November 2010 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I suppose a language I don't speak is pretty useless to me. Useful to some other people I
suspect.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lucas
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 4927 days ago

85 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, German, Italian, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 42
19 November 2010 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
Between the age of 12 a 19 I've had in average four hours a week of latin (for seven
years) and four hours of week of ancient greek (for six years).

I've made one year of sanskrit in university...the only thing I remember (except
indoeuropean words)is "viaghra"(tiger).

Last summer I had a job opportunity in Kazaksthan so I began to learn it...the only
method in french was really bad and I remember NOTHING.

But it's cool and I don't regret it...I'm very happy to have "learned" those useless
languages!

PS: If I can't write English properly, it's because I choosed ancient greek instead of
english!
And I don't regret it AT ALL!
:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

michau
Tetraglot
Groupie
Norway
lang-8.com/member/49
Joined 5986 days ago

86 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, NorwegianC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Sign Language
Studies: Burmese, Toki Pona, Greenlandic

Message 13 of 42
19 November 2010 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Latin is useless to be because of my focus on oral communication. I can imagine it being extremely useful to others in a wide range of situations.

Latin may be useful for oral communication if you want to make friends with foreign catholic priests.

Kounotori
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5104 days ago

136 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 14 of 42
19 November 2010 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
Sometimes I think that I might learn these languages or other ancient languages to read literature but I doubt that I will considering that I have started to read the Kalevala in Finnish no less than four times but never get past the first chapter.

If it consoles you in any way, a lot of native Finns find the language of the Kalevala perplexing as well.

In order to understand the language of the book, you should have a relatively broad knowledge of dialectal Finnish (mainly the eastern dialects) and be able to deduce what the archaic forms of verbs mean (the verbal ending -vi, for example, is just a fancy-sounding ending in the present indicative: the first two lines "Mieleni minun tekevi, aivoni ajattelevi" would be "Minun mieleni tekee, aivoni ajattelee" in standard, non-poetic Finnish).

So don't get discouraged. The Kalevala is really super duper advanced stuff, which most Finnish learners don't seem to realize. I recommend that you read some 19th century Finnish literature and get acquainted with the Savonian and Karelian dialects before attempting to tackle it.

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5800 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 15 of 42
19 November 2010 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
I can't wait to learn Latin and Ancient Greek as I love reading the classics such as Cicero's speeches and the thought of being able to wrestle with the text in Latin without the filter of a translation (no matter how good) just thrills me.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 16 of 42
20 November 2010 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
michau wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Latin is useless to be because of my focus on oral communication. I can imagine it being extremely useful to others in a wide range of situations.

Latin may be useful for oral communication if you want to make friends with foreign catholic priests.

Not quite there yet :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version