Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5565 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 9 of 60
21 November 2010 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
OK, I think that pretty much confirms what I thought (that my sentence put emphasis on "lady", which is how the English sentence sounded in my head), and added some interesting detail. Thanks for the spelling tip, I will include that correction in my edit, how do I type "ß"? This still leaves open the question of whether it would be better to change the word order back to neutral in all sentences in order to avoid confusing learners, please keep your points coming on this one, and anything else, we're already making progress!
Olaf, any more corrections please?

B.T.W. nerd that I am did you all know that Faß (barrel) is related to the English word "vat"? God I love German! Why the hell am I studying other languages instead of going back to the one I was studying for pure pleasure?

Edited by Random review on 21 November 2010 at 4:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6885 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 10 of 60
21 November 2010 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
Oh, and slightly off topic but have you seen the latest posts on the DLI thread? It has an amazing link, which includes (along with other brilliant stuff!) the audio (and almost all the pdfs) for the DLI Spanish course that used to be published by "The Language Warehouse"!

I have now!

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6885 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 11 of 60
21 November 2010 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
how do I type "ß"?

I use a UK International Keyboard that I downloaded from here, so for me it's Right-Alt-Key + S.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6885 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 12 of 60
21 November 2010 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
Hmmm, thinking about this further, I still REALLY want to know whether my sentence is OK or not (because in my head the English sentence has emphasis on "lady"), but regardless perhaps I should have stuck to the neutral word order to avoid confusing learners,

I think if you intended the emphasis, then let it stand. Olaf's post provides a nice summary of what's right or wrong.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6885 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 13 of 60
21 November 2010 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Apologies if you've already covered this and I've missed it :-)....

In lesson 7, adjectival endings

Der gute Mann but Ein guter Mann

Ich trinke dieses deutsche Bier but Ich trinke ein deutsches Bier

(I won't presume to usurp your Michel Thomas role by suggesting how you might cover this!)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 60
21 November 2010 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
Thanks for the spelling tip, I will include that correction in my edit, how do I type "ß"?

If you have a NumPad, you can press the Alt key, then type 0223, then release the Alt key. For me, it's more handy to keep a few key combinations in my memory than to install another keyboard.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5565 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 15 of 60
21 November 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
Apologies if you've already covered this and I've missed it :-)....

In lesson 7, adjectival endings

Der gute Mann but Ein guter Mann

Ich trinke dieses deutsche Bier but Ich trinke ein deutsches Bier

It is covered by rule 4, (since the ein here is one of the 2 exceptions I mentioned where the indefinite article does NOT take an ending to show what pronoun the noun is replacing, the adjective therefore has to do so), but as I say the whole section is very badly written, so that wasn't made clear. A more serious omission on my part was not teaching adjectives with plural nouns, which march to the beat of a slightly different drummer...as I said, the section on adjectives was a bit of a rush job. But I think we are making progress already!

Andy E wrote:
(I won't presume to usurp your Michel Thomas role by suggesting how you might cover this!)

No, I was very clear in my introduction that none of these ideas are mine (though I do claim a BIT of credit for bringing them together from different sources), and therefore I have no right to set myself up as "in charge" of this thread, I apologise if I came across that way. The point is for us to produce something good! I'm happy for any contentious decisions to be made by vote, and I actively WANT people to submit re-writes for consideration (this process is, after all, what gives Wikipedia its power). The only thing I insist on (think of it as a House Rule) is that suggestions be consistent with MT and his method, since the whole POINT is to provide a patch for HIS German Course. Even here, however, I am not some kind of MT expert, anyone who has used one of his courses (it doesn't have to be the German one) has as much right as me to a say. Thanks to Andy E and everyone who has contributed so far, progress has already been made!

Edited by Random review on 21 November 2010 at 10:36pm

Kugel
United States
Joined 6320 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 16 of 60
21 November 2010 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Random Review, I tried a similar thing on a website that allows you to experiment in creating a sequence of prompts and grammar explanations, sort of like what you had in your original post.

Perhaps this might be of interest to you?

Here it is: Interactive German lesson

If only it had an audio option, then it would be the perfect tool in designing language programs that follow the step-by-step approach using deduction.

It's not really like MT because there aren't any memory aides and the like, but isolating grammar into little chunks, keeping easy cognates, and exploiting differences between 2 elements is what I was aiming for. Actually, all language programs should aim for this IMO.

Edited by Kugel on 21 November 2010 at 11:21pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version