Diglot
Canada
Joined 5136 days ago

19 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Norwegian, German, Dutch

Message 1 of 5
20 November 2010 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
So I've started looking into learning Dutch, so I can try and communicate with my Dutch penpal in his native language.

I've been looking around at a few different programs, and TellMeMore Dutch caught my eye.

It seems like a great program, and I'm really considering purchasing it. However, I am not entirely sure if TellMeMore is worth the money.

Has anyone used the program and had success with it? What other Dutch programs may you suggest?

Dank je wel. :)

Himmel
1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6825 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
20 November 2010 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
I cannot speak for everyone else on the forum, but I gather that most people are not in favour of exclusively using language learning software without another course to provide the basis of the learning materials.

Specifically for Dutch, I recommend Linguaphone and Assimil. I've heard that the Routledge Intensive Dutch Course is also pretty good but I don't know for a fact. I'm sure that others will be more qualified to reply about TellMeMore in more detail and Dutch in particular.

Good luck with your learning.
4 persons have voted this message useful

fsc
United States
Joined 6139 days ago

100 posts - 117 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 5
21 November 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
I have been studying French for 3 years. My Library offers the Tell Me More online program for free. I took their placement test and it said I was at Intermediate + level.

I started at the beginning of the course just to be sure I wasn't missing anything and found it to be one of the worst programs out there. There is no teaching. All it is are exercises to do. The are no basics taught. In fact they don't teach anything. For example, they play a sentence or phrase in the foreign language and you are somehow supposed to know what it means and translate it. Then they have this speaking section where you are supposed to repeat a word and it shows a waveform speech pattern on your computer screen and tells whether you said it right or not. This is a gimmick. You can speak the word correctly and the waveform is wrong. Worse yet, you can intentionally mispronounce it and it tells you it is correct.

I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to get the course working because it said it would show a green light if I passed a section. I kept getting a yellow light and kept redoing sections trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. An hour later I figured out that I wasn't doing anything wrong. What they call green is actually yellow.

Even if you are advanced in your foreign language, these exercises are poor. I went halfway through the beginner section figuring it would help my writing. Then I found I learned more in three 15 minute podcasts of Coffee Break French and remembered it, than I learned in 6 hours of Tell Me More.

I believe you can try a demo on their website but I would not recommend it at all.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6931 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 4 of 5
21 November 2010 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Himmel, when you say 'program' do you mean a computer program or a course for learning Dutch?

There's nothing wrong with 'Teach Yourself Dutch' or 'Colloquial Dutch' as courses for beginners.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Himmel
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5136 days ago

19 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Norwegian, German, Dutch

Message 5 of 5
21 November 2010 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Interesting. I looked around on the internet for the best language learning programs, and Tell Me More was always in the top 3...

I will take a better look at the Linguaphone and Assimil courses. My local library carries some Dutch courses including Colloquial Dutch, so I may take a look at those as well.

Thanks for the replies. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version