Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4955 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 1 of 4
20 November 2010 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
My name is Mateus Germano Moreira Frota Tibúrcio. But the surname "Tibúrcio" is stranger
to my friends. I searched it in dictionaries and didn´t find nothing. My father says it
as
Arabic. But, I don´t know. Could somebody say me what means Tibúrcio in some language?

Edited by Gorgoll2 on 20 November 2010 at 7:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

marmite
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5022 days ago

35 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French

Message 2 of 4
06 December 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
I'm fairly certain it comes from the name Tiburtius (Latin) which is even the name of a saint. If you Google "Tiburtius etymology" or "Tiburtius name" you might find something. My googling in English and Portuguese relates it with Tiber (the river), as meaning "of the Tiber".

Hope I helped!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4955 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 3 of 4
08 December 2010 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Thank you, marmite... Ethmology isn´t simple. But... Would my family be Italian?
1 person has voted this message useful

marmite
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5022 days ago

35 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French

Message 4 of 4
08 December 2010 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
Not necessarily. Latin was spoken around the entire Roman Empire, which was pretty large. A lot of these countries used Latin a lot afterwards as well. I also have no idea how far back your family goes with this name, either, so I'm afraid I can't help you more than this. The person to talk to about this would be a geneologist, who could be able to tell you when your ancestors adopted Tibúrcio as a last name and where they were from.

The name itself is just probably not Arabic, as it comes from Latin. I have no idea about your family, though, sorry!

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version