Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5774 days ago

86 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, French, English, Russian, German
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian

Message 1 of 5
20 November 2010 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
it seems to be a common understanding, that there is no book originally produced for this module. I wonder if anybody has heard at least about a transcripts of reference list or dialogues; word lists? not from FSI, but from somebody who has been using the course...

The last units - 7, 8 and 9 have different format than the first ones, with quicker pace, long, rapid, rather complex dialogues and more info found only in the book. Well apart from 9 that evidently that has no book :-/
1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6954 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 2 of 5
20 November 2010 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Normunds, I've never studied Mandarin, with FSI or anything else, but my understanding is that there was a fair amount of commonality between the FSI and DLI Mandarin courses, as they were supposedly produced in cooperation. The DLI course has materials for characters, which the FSI course doesn't. But if you check the "Mandarin Chinese" materials at the link below, I see there is a book for module 9.   Whether there's any commonality with the FSI module 9 I can't say; if there is, then you may have found your book, or list, while if not, there still may be some material there that would be useful to you.

I'm sorry not to be able to be more helpful, but I don't recall having seen any comments by people who've studied Mandarin with the DLI materials. In any event, here's the link to take a look at, for the DLI materials in general:

http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/

and for the Mandarin materials in particular:

http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/Chinese%20Mandarin/

(What's labeled the book for module 9 is under "Basic Course Books")

Edited by daristani on 21 November 2010 at 1:03am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Normunds
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5774 days ago

86 posts - 112 votes 

Message 3 of 5
21 November 2010 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
thanks Daristani for the idea. The DLI Mandarin material look interesting - abundant in any case. The "Basic course" is absolutely unrelated one. The material corresponding to FSI course is under "Standard Chinese" and there it goes up only to the Module 8. And surprisingly Module 8 while has the same title contains different material. And there does not seem to be any audio for this set. So I guess at some point their cooperation diverged, or there are several versions of at least some parts of the course.

well, and as to the idea of characters, just to make it clear, they got other courses using characters, but as far as I can tell, there are no complementary materials with characters for the course that is common with FSI.

Edited by Normunds on 21 November 2010 at 3:41pm

daristani
United States
Joined 6954 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 4 of 5
21 November 2010 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Normunds,

Sorry to mislead you; I thought the FSI and DLI courses might be largely similar all the way through, but not being too familiar with the FSI course, I can only defer to you.

For anyone else who might be interested, and possibly confused by the site, the Basic Course Audio is here:

http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/Chinese%20Mandarin/Basic%20Course%20Audio/

and "Basic Course Books" is here:

http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/Chinese%20Mandarin/Basic%20Course%20Books/

While the apparently separate "Standard Chinese" course (with no audio visible) is here:

http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cours es/Chinese%20Mandarin/Standard%20Chinese/

(I find the site a bit confusing, but in any event, there does seem to be a great volume of material there. I hope that at least some of it may be useful to you or others.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Normunds
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 5774 days ago

86 posts - 112 votes 

Message 5 of 5
21 November 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Hi Daristani, no problem about confusion - it was not hard for me to check it out and find my answer. Unfortunately it was "not really" :-/

I was not aware of this particular DLI site, so thanks a bunch. But I had been trying to use DLI materials several times and was always put off by their natural propensity to pack lots of military terminology. Or sometimes the material is also a bit dated - such as otherwise nice Indonesian material that was using the old spelling convention...

Today when there are so much material and technical devices and only so little time to use them and to learn, we should not jump at each old textbook only because it might be free. But again money alone does not buy happiness as well (nor learn instead of you). Hence back to ol' FSI.

For example while using FSI course I'm modifying recordings to suite my learning style and as additional exercise, transcribing the reference lists, dialogues and glossary in characters. An packing glossary in mnemosyne. Hence my request for the existing transcript (I've been around and seen this missing book issue discussed already) - it's much easier to transcribe text in characters when you have a nice pinyin to type than to attempt transcribe from the recording. I know my way is not brave, but I do not plan to spend forever on this course; and there is still a lot of challenge to get it right:-)

It might not be the optimal way to learn anyhow, but that's part of my quest - learn how to learn... well I'm 50 next year, but I hope learning (and most important meta-learning) can be never late...

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version