Language Learning Forum : Links & Internet Resources Post Reply
DougR6666
United States
Joined 4935 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 1 of 5
21 November 2010 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
Are there many podcasts to help Mandarin speakers learn English? My girlfriend has limited English and is almost computer illiterate, so she doesn't know how to search for them and I don't speak Mandarin.   Can anybody recommend some podcasts where English is taught using Mandarin rather than all English?
1 person has voted this message useful

FamusBluRaincot
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5378 days ago

50 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 2 of 5
21 November 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
It is possible that she would learn faster if she struggled with all-English lessons-especially with you to help her.

But if she feels she must have Mandarin along with English in her lessons, then install Amule or Emule and go to
VeryCD.com.

There you will find a very large number of audio lessons for Mandarin speakers learning English. The two of you
together should be able to figure out how to find and download them-it's not that difficult.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5776 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
21 November 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
She could try a different approach....become a chat partner for someone who is a native English speaker and learning Mandarin. You could help her to find a chat partner and show her how to use Skype, or say MSN. The person learning Mandarin would really exercise their Mandarin skills which they would be grateful for.

Good luck!

slymie
Tetraglot
Groupie
China
Joined 5045 days ago

81 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English, Macedonian
Studies: French, Mandarin, Greek
Studies: Shanghainese, Uyghur, Russian

Message 4 of 5
25 November 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 

http://www.putclub.com/

http://www.eslpod.com/website/index_new.html

http://englishpod.com/

I searched the Chinese search Engines and didn't find much at all, seems Chinese people don't like to use podcasts to learn English.

If you want to have a look yourself, the best search engine is www.baidu.com

and should help 播客 is the equal for podcast

FamusBluRaincot
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5378 days ago

50 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 5 of 5
25 November 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
I haven’t seen any Mandarin-to-English podcasts in the style of Chinesepod. But then I haven’t searched that hard.

I have downloaded ESLpod type lessons from Chinese sites, only to delete them when I found they were English
only.

But if anyone is looking for bilingual audio lessons designed to teach English to Mandarin speakers, then they will
find that Chinese sites are flooded with them. I have a mass of this kind of material on my hard drive, and I didn’t
have to look very hard to find it. I got the material from VeryCD.com and from justting.com.cn

As you might suppose, some of this material is also very useful for English speakers learning Mandarin.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version