Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6379 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 17 of 36
24 November 2010 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
EmmiInEurope: Welkom by HTLAL en baie dankie vir jou website:)

I had the same experience as you the first time I went to Belgium. I found that by altering the way I was speaking Afrikaans I could make myself better understood, particularly when it came to pronunciation of the vowels. It took a while for me to realise that I should be using "heel" instead of "baie" which is unintelligble there ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

tracker465
United States
Joined 5139 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 18 of 36
27 November 2010 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
Talairan wrote:
It took a while for me to realise that I should be using "heel" instead of "baie" which is unintelligble there ;)

When I was studying in Germany, I had a friend at the university from South Africa. She wrote me out a few Afrikaans phrases of my choosing for when I went to the Netherlands to visit a Dutch girl who I was friends with and wanted to impress. Unfortunately, one of the phrases was "Jy is baie mooi" or something like that, and the girl didn't understand what I meant, so that idea did not work as well as planned.

I've been studying Dutch on and off, haphazardly, for the past year. To read Afrikaans is no problem for me, as it is almost as if I am reading Dutch. The first time I stumbled upon written Afrikaans, in fact, I thought it was Dutch...

The spoken language, I imagine it would be a bit more difficult. There are deviations in words, due to African-language influences on Afrikaans, for example. Some of my Dutch friends always told me that they felt Afrikaans just sounded like "sloppy Dutch" to them, since the grammar is so much simplified. As a few others have mentioned, I think that there is a very high degree of mutual inteligability, but that one would just have to train his or her ear a bit to really take advantage of this.

As for learning the one language and then the other, this is something that I would not recommend doing. Although there are differences between the two languages, so much is the same. I think it would be very hard to ever speak both in a pure form, since one would rely on the one to fill in the gaps and speak the other.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 36
27 November 2010 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
When I was preparing my recent not-really-Afrikaans-but-something-in-that-direction video I listened to several podcasts from Radio sonder Grense in a row, and I noticed one important difference between Dutch and Afrikaans: Dutch has diphtongs that go downwards (ei, uy, ou..) plus long 'flat' vowels (ooo, eee..). The latter become diphtongs that go upwards in Afrikaans: ooo--> uor, eee--> ieer and so forth.

Edited by Iversen on 27 November 2010 at 6:41pm

Malivar
Triglot
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

5 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English, Afrikaans*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Russian

Message 20 of 36
28 November 2010 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
I'm from South Africa, my native language being Afrikaans, and I have to say that the written Dutch isn't particularly
hard for me to figure out. The spoken language is quite different, though. I understand parts of songs and things
like that, but not to the degree that I could speak with that person intellectually and fully be able to understand
them.

CheeseInsider
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4909 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 21 of 36
28 November 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
When I was preparing my recent not-really-Afrikaans-but-something-in-that-direction video I listened to several podcasts from Radio sonder Grense in a row, and I noticed one important difference between Dutch and Afrikaans: Dutch has diphtongs that go downwards (ei, uy, ou..) plus long 'flat' vowels (ooo, eee..). The latter become diphtongs that go upwards in Afrikaans: ooo--> uor, eee--> ieer and so forth.

I saw your Afrikaans video :D And subscribed of course haha. It was interesting to hear what Afrikaans sounds like.

Malivar wrote:
I'm from South Africa, my native language being Afrikaans, and I have to say that the written Dutch isn't particularly
hard for me to figure out. The spoken language is quite different, though. I understand parts of songs and things
like that, but not to the degree that I could speak with that person intellectually and fully be able to understand
them.

I see you're studying Dutch :) Do you have an idea of how long it will take for you to learn Dutch? Are you trying to modify your Afrikaans and turn it into Dutch? Or are you learning Dutch separately with you speaking both Afrikaans and Dutch as the end result?

Edited by CheeseInsider on 28 November 2010 at 5:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 36
29 November 2010 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
CheeseInsider wrote:
I saw your Afrikaans video :D And subscribed of course haha. It was interesting to hear what Afrikaans sounds like.

I'm fairly sure my Afrikaans didn't sound authentic - after all I have only heard some fragments while travelling, a few short Youtube clips in January this year and less then 10 hours during the last month or so. It would be rather surprising if that was enough background. I have slightly more training in writing Afrikaans, but even there I would only charactherize myself as an intermediate in the lower bracket. But these videos give my studies a concrete direction, given that I otherwise tend to rely too much on the written language.

And I have learnt from Afrikaans that internet TV isn't necessary - radio and podcasts just with sound are also OK, if the themes are interesting and the sound quality is OK.   

EmmiInEurope
Tetraglot
South Africa
nederlandsvirafrikaa
Joined 4902 days ago

13 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: Afrikaans*, English, French, Dutch
Studies: Spanish

Message 23 of 36
29 November 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
When I was preparing my recent not-really-Afrikaans-but-something-in-
that-direction video I listened to several podcasts from Radio sonder Grense in a row,
and I noticed one important difference between Dutch and Afrikaans: Dutch has diphtongs
that go downwards (ei, uy, ou..) plus long 'flat' vowels (ooo, eee..). The latter
become diphtongs that go upwards in Afrikaans: ooo--> uor, eee--> ieer and so forth.

Interesting observation - and very true. Also in Afrikaans our short vowels tend to be
rounded - i.e. a is almost pronounced 'รด', where in Dutch they are open and flat. This,
and the difference in intonation as you mentioned above, are probably the biggest
differences.

I might add that the rounded vowels, and upward diphtongs, are phenomena that are
fairly recent and much more common in the northern part of the country (Johannesburg,
Pretoria) under younger people. The older generation often mocks younger people for
speaking in this way. In contrast to this, the Cape Couloured accent is very flat.

CheeseInsider wrote:
Do any of you think it would be feasible to use Afrikaans as a
stepping stone from English to Dutch? By that I mean, could an English speaker learn
Afrikaans, then learn the Dutch modifications, in order to make it pure Dutch later on?

I think it depends on what level of fluency you would like to reach. Because 80-90% of
the vocabulary coincides, comprehension can be carried over from one to the other very
easily. Thus if you only want to be able to read or understand Dutch, sure, Afrikaans
is a good entry point. But speaking or writing correctly is another story: differences
in grammatical constructions and the 'flow' of the language, the syntax, makes it tough
to transfer. Once again, making yourself understood is not difficult, but speaking it
correctly is another story.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5107 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 24 of 36
29 November 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
This might be a bit off-topic, but I thought that this was the best thread to ask my question.

At the beginning of a recent episode of House, MD (7x7 - "A Pox on Our House") there was flash-back scene in an old slave ship were the crew was supposedly speaking Dutch. I really had a hard time understanding anything and chalked it up to my admittedly very rusty Dutch.

Later I did some research and found out that the actor who played the Dutch captain was from South Africa and most likely spoke Afrikaans and not Dutch. Can someone who speaks Afrikaans and/or Dutch and has seen this particular episode confirm this?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version