Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Negativity

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
60 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 8 Next >>
Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5302 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 41 of 60
26 November 2010 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

I started this thread because it is my opinion that we should never voice it if we
think that a language that another member is learning is a waste of time; it cannot be
anything but a personal opinion and it cannot but offend the member in question and all
those who study the same language.

Well, if you can't handle people that think that something you do is a waste of time, then you should probably avoid the internet altegether, at least discussion forums. Having different opinions is the basis of most discussions, if that "offends" you, just switch off your modem, there are no "safe places" on the internet.
4 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5923 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 42 of 60
26 November 2010 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
I started this thread because it is my opinion that we should never voice it if we think that a language that another member is learning is a waste of time; it cannot be anything but a personal opinion and it cannot but offend the member in question and all those who study the same language.

Well, if you can't handle people that think that something you do is a waste of time, then you should probably avoid the internet altegether, at least discussion forums. Having different opinions is the basis of most discussions, if that "offends" you, just switch off your modem, there are no "safe places" on the internet.

That, I think she understands. What she and others of us are taking issue with is that you should not have to worry about being ridiculed for your interest in learning languages or choice of which languages to study on a forum for language-lovers about learning languages. Her point was that out in the "real world" is where you would expect to be criticized for speaking or learning Xhosa, Mongolian, or Esperanto, not here.
10 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6160 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 60
26 November 2010 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
What I actually meant was a metaphora for how this forum treats any inquiries about Esperanto so differently from inquiries about any other language. All threads are swiftly moved to the Esperanto corner, no matter if people talk about language programs, language methods, have questions about the language or any part of it, are asking for advice about learning it... and the majority of posts in the Esperanto corner are bashing it. Sometimes I really get the impression that Esperanto is not welcome in the picture that this language forum presents, even though Iversen,
Professor Arguelles, Volte, formiko, Fasulye and other forum greats all speak it (and
ellasevia, doviende and jeff_lindqvist do to some extend).

Perhaps our intentions have been misinterpreted. All Esperanto threads get moved to the Esperanto subforum precisely to prevent Esperanto bashing. The subforum is meant to be a place where Esperanto learners can go without being subjected to the continual debating that seemingly creeps into every Esperanto thread. Now, obviously, that doesn't seem to have worked out so well. Maybe there aren't enough mods that visit that subforum. I don't ever go there for example. In that case it would be helpful if members would report any offending posts so that they are brought to our attention and we can deal with them.

Also, I think it may be helpful to have one thread dedicated to debates about Esperanto. Then people can choose to avoid it if they wish.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5302 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 

Message 44 of 60
26 November 2010 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
Another idea: people that are sensitive should just avoid threads that have titles like "is Esperanto a waste of time".
5 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5302 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 

Message 45 of 60
26 November 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
By the way, where did anyone riducule someone for learning languages?

All examples so far have just concerned incidents where someone has critized a particular language. Given that Esperanto is a constructed language, put together with a specific purpose, people should be less surprised when the usefulness of this language is question, than if someone were to say that for example Swedish is useless. It may be pretty useless to non-Swedes (unless they're film buffs), but it wasn't constructed, and millions of people have no choice but to use it.

Esperanto is like an artificial canal, natural languages are like rivers. Anyone can see that it's much more reasonable to question the building of a canal than the existence of a river.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 60
26 November 2010 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
Actually Esperanto is one of the few cases where the criticism is targeted towards a specific language (for reasons which we have seen again and again, so I don't need to repeat them here for the umptieth time). Another case was the feud between those that found that English has become too intrusive and ubiquitous and those that found that this was the natural order of things, and that comments suggesting otherwise were anti-American. Luckily that discussion has died down, but not because the conflict as such was resolved.

Leaving Esperanto and English aside, the comments in this thread and the forum at large go in two directions: some members think that learning ANY language is justified, and the more exotic and rare the better, and others support a strictly utilitarian line which inevitable will lead to neglect of exotic and rare languages. As long as the arguments is expressed in civil terms this discussion is OK even though it probably leads nowhere. But any claim that a specific language is useless and a waste of time may of course be seen as offensive. And so would claims that blind utilitarism is destroying the world.

Gusutafu wrote:
Anyone can see that it's much more reasonable to question the building of a canal than the existence of a river.

True, - but after it has been built the money has been spent and now the canal is lying there. Then the only relevant question is: should we sail on it? In the case of the Suez- or Panama canal some might even say that the original investment was justified. In the case of Esperanto one could say that it is a miracle that anybody took it seriously, but now it has more speakers than most natural languages, and those who speak it seem to be more eager to communicate on a worldwide scale than the speakers of most 'natural' languages.

Edited by Iversen on 26 November 2010 at 1:07pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5000 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 47 of 60
26 November 2010 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
OlafP wrote:
There is no point in learning languages if you refuse to use your vocabulary correctly: I see a lot of flirting with words like "nerd" and "geek" in this forum. These terms describe persons who go their own way, beyond the conventions of any group or society. Someone who lives that way is used to rejection and strong opinions against him- or herself, and is actually more surprised about other people's agreement. If you don't have the nerves of steel it requires to live such a life then you should draw the consequences. Be a conformist, but don't present yourself as something different: you're neither nerd nor geek, but you have interests and hobbies. Or be a non-conformist, but then don't complain about headwind.

Someone who is not a bird should not linger over the abyss. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Ouch. i assume you mean [amongst others] my recent thread on other "Geekiness" so I can only apologise for any discomfort it caused.

Nerd and Geek are valid terms in many dictionaries (and scrabble), and I am happy to be both or either. To be 'out of the ordinary' makes you extraordinary by definition.

I believe this site is about joining people who have a particular fondness for languages to others who have the same fondness.

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5211 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 48 of 60
26 November 2010 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Frankly this (IMHO) tempest in a teapot or in French "une tempête dans un verre d'eau" is morphing into a major argument for nothing. For the life of me I don't see what the problem is. Have I missed something? Maybe it's because I'm not into Esperanto. We may have our differences and little verbal flare-ups over certain issues, but I really never have seen or felt that people belittle the language choices of other participants.

Some while back I took particular exception to some positions in a thread on the so-called worst-sounding languages, which I still think is a silly concept. So, we had some heated arguments. But that's what a forum is for. I didn't think anybody was insulted or hurt. Maybe a few feathers ruffled, but at the end of the day it was all about ideas.

8 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version