Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Ludovicus
United States
Joined 4923 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 1 of 9
25 November 2010 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
I'm trying to learn German, and am working on the FSI tape and book series. If you have any preferred books, tapes,
or other learning materials that have helped you to learn German, please list them in this thread.

Thanks. I'm hoping to travel to Germany next year, and want to have some proficiency before I go.
1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 9
25 November 2010 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
I'm currently using:

Assimil German without Toil as my primary course

The following for listening comprehension:

Yabla
EuroNews

I've got two grammar books, the first is pocket-sized but packs a real punch in terms of the amount of information crammed into it

BBC Active German Grammar

Hammer's German Grammar & Usage

These are my principal resources at the moment along with some books and readers.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ubik
United States
ubykh.wordpress.com/
Joined 5126 days ago

147 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish

Message 3 of 9
28 November 2010 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
THE most helpful thing I have at my disposal is German-flashcards.com. They have like 7
other languages as well, but German, I believe was their first and the best of them
all. Its free (unless you want to upgrade for some shinies) to put words and whole
sentences into your own collection and there are multiple ways of quizzing yourself.

For (almsost) every word, there are example sentences, and they color code the nouns
(blue, red, green) for gender, give the plurals, hover over sentences to get each
word's meaning. It works like an SRS, but way more flexible, fun, and cool.

Secondly, believe it or not, German.about.com. There are tons of articles on there
detailing all the crazy aspects of German. There are some really nice preposition,
conjugation, etc tables on there as well.

I dont really have any other tangible resources to recommend. Im taking German at
college right now using Deutsch Na Klar and supplementing as much as possible with teh
above-mentioned resources + real conversations with live Germans here + IM Chat.
5 persons have voted this message useful

ibraheem
Groupie
United States
Joined 5175 days ago

84 posts - 106 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Mandarin

Message 4 of 9
28 November 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Mastering German Vocabulary - A Thematic Approach - around 5,000 popular German words, with example sentences for each and IPA pronunciations and stress markings, and a decent grammar overview as well. Drawbacks: Doesn't give the plural for words, the book is strictly German - English.

Teach Yourself German - I used this to begin my German studies, the book is not comprehensive at all but is good for an introduction to the language.

Useful Websites:
http://german.about.com/
http://www.vistawide.com/german/grammar/german_grammar.htm

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5539 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 5 of 9
28 November 2010 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
I'd say Deutsche Welle's course, Deutsch - Warum nicht?

I've been going through it & I like it.

Frieza
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 5163 days ago

102 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German

Message 6 of 9
29 November 2010 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Based on my own experience with free programmes, I'd say:

1. BBC Steps: Not bad for a quick introduction into the language
2. BBC Talk German: Very nice if you want to learn a lot about Bavaria. Not much otherwise
3. Paul Joyce German course: very good for grammar
4. Deutsche Welle Deutsch - warum nicht? : this one is quite good, highly recommend it
5. Deutsche Welle Deutsch Interaktiv : extremely comprehensive, covers a lot of grammar and over 7,000 words, its only flaw is that it takes too long (at least if you go about it the way that I do)

And regarding Deutsch Interaktiv, I've just found this supporting material:

Basic German Vocabulary Trainer

Pretty nifty if you ask me!

Edited by Frieza on 29 November 2010 at 11:30pm

ic32987
Groupie
United States
Joined 6150 days ago

50 posts - 54 votes 
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 7 of 9
03 December 2010 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
I have also just started. My plan at the moment is Assimil German with Ease, the Slow German podcast (to read/listen), and ideally will find a German parallel text with audio for the L-R method? Will keep you updated.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4925 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 8 of 9
04 December 2010 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
I was planning on posting this same question soon, since once I reach about an intermediate level in Esperanto I want to get back into my German. So thanks for asking this!

I have definitely seen some useful stuff on German.about.com. The only audio course is Pimsleur, which I enjoy, but which obviously is not enough on its own. Also, Deutsche Welle has programs you can listen to at regular speed and at a slower, clearer speed, if I recall correctly, which can be quite useful for listening practice.

EDIT: I just thought of another question I've been meaning to ask. I took a look at one of the FSI German courses online, and it said that it's meant to be done with a native speaker to help you. In your experience, how necessary is the presence of a native speaker? And if very necessary, how much involvement is required? I have some German friends, but I doubt they'd want to spend a lot of time helping me study.

Edited by Lianne on 04 December 2010 at 12:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version