Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5141 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 17 of 33
30 November 2010 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
OlafP wrote:
She totally misunderstood Kant, calling him a mystic (ROTFL), and ironically based her whole moral code on her "critique" towards him.

Are you familiar with Indian epistemology? Or Fichte, for that matter? I haven't read Rand's work, but what you refer to is anything but laughable.

About politics, much of what goes on in Europe baffles and dismays me as much as anything you folks might find "astonishing" about the U.S.

From the isolated quotes I've read from her, it seems she was a very smart, insightful and prescient woman.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 18 of 33
30 November 2010 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
What elements of American beliefs are you referring to, Sprachprofi?

I don't want to discuss politics on this thread, that's what private messages are good
for. However, it is a valid question in that it concerns the difference in cultures,
and I think this thread will be moved to the cultural forum soon.

So I'll be brief. What Ayn Rand argues, and what the vast majority of people in Europe
can't understand, is
* wealth speaks of merit
* CEOs actually deserve to earn millions
* the poor should be pulling themselves up by their bootstraps

Especially the last idea is permeating American society, and not just Libertarians (the
purest Randists) think so, while I've never heard it suggested in Europe.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5141 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 19 of 33
30 November 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
So I'll be brief. What Ayn Rand argues, and what the vast majority of people in Europe
can't understand, is
* wealth speaks of merit

Have Europeans forgotten yourselves to such a degree? I think contemporary Europeans looking at what created their (dying) world would profit from revisiting Die protestantische Ethik und der Geist des Kapitalismus from Max Weber.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 20 of 33
30 November 2010 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
There are some writings that receive more attention outside of their native land than
within. Also, your argument could be made for any political philosophy at all. Countless
ideas stem from European philosophers. Democracy just as well as tyranny, and radical
capitalism just as well as communism.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rapp
United States
Joined 5527 days ago

129 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 21 of 33
01 December 2010 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Especially the last idea is permeating American society, and not just Libertarians (the

I might be reading too much into this comment, but I read it as saying that libertarians are a subset of Randians, and I really don't think that is true. I would actually say it is the other way around: libertarianism is a broad category of political and economic thought of which Ayn Rand represented one sub-current. There were other thinkers in the broader libertarian sphere, such as Murry Rothbard, Milton Friedman, Friedrich Hayek and others, who disagreed quite strongly at times with Ayn Rand (And vice-versa. She famously denounced many of those people and separated herself from the broader movement later in her life.)

I tend to think that Rand's novels are interesting polemics that kind of act like a gateway drug to libertarianism, but it is really books like The Road to Serfdom and The Constitution of Liberty that form the theoretical basis of the philosophy.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6664 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 22 of 33
01 December 2010 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Peace, everyone. The discussion might be valid regarding Rand, but isn't pertinent to polyglottery.

Edited by Journeyer on 01 December 2010 at 5:33am

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5317 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 23 of 33
01 December 2010 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

can't understand, is
* wealth speaks of merit
* CEOs actually deserve to earn millions
* the poor should be pulling themselves up by their bootstraps

Well, I don't think it's a case of not understanding, rather not agreeing. I would argue that wealth more often than not speaks of happenstance (born into rich family, or family with connections), greed, ruthlessness, willingness to ignore common decency for the sake of financial profit etc. Even if you agree that CEOs should earn more than nurses, they don't necessarily have to earn a hundred times more.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 24 of 33
01 December 2010 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
rapp wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
Especially the last idea is permeating American
society, and not just Libertarians (the purest Randists) think so, while I've never
heard it suggested in Europe.

I might be reading too much into this comment, but I read it as saying that
libertarians are a subset of Randians, and I really don't think that is true. I would
actually say it is the other way around: libertarianism is a broad category of
political and economic thought of which Ayn Rand represented one sub-current.

You are probably right; I haven't studied libertarianism. I meant something else: Ayn
Rand's philosophy has influenced the American society at large, rather than just the
small percentage of people who identify as libertarians. This makes Ayn Rand an
interesting author to study in order to better understand America.

Gusutafu wrote:
Well, I don't think it's a case of not understanding, rather not
agreeing. I would argue that wealth more often than not speaks of happenstance (born
into rich family, or family with connections), greed, ruthlessness, willingness to
ignore common decency for the sake of financial profit etc.

Gusutafu, your argument is not with me ;-) I said "not understanding" because in
Europe the rich are generally assumed to have all the vices you mentioned, when in fact
they might believe themselves to be pursuing the good of all, Ayn Rand style. Ayn Rand
presents some good arguments for egoism to be a virtue. Whether you agree with her
logic or see fallacies is a different matter. The thing is that people in Europe
generally don't just disagree, they don't understand that such arguments exist. Extreme
egoism and lack of compassion for the poor is seen as a character flaw, not as a
conscious choice that could be backed up by logic.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 01 December 2010 at 11:25am

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version