Language Learning Forum : Books, Literature & Reading Post Reply
32 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4931 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 17 of 32
24 January 2011 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

So, now that I come to think of it... Does anyone here _who is not an interpreter_ really _speak_ regularly more than two languages (the local one and his/her native tongue) face-to-face?

What's your reasoning for excluding interpreters? Is an interpreter's use of languages somehow less valuable?

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5027 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 32
24 January 2011 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
mrwarper wrote:
Over time I've grown wary and bored of people in general. I immensely enjoy finding new interesting people to hang out with but, even so, I've found that interest also tends to slowly fade away over time.

I hope you don't start conversations with that opener.

Just when I don't want to have one ;)

Nah, the problem is, I don't share interests with most people (which I understand from both points of view -science and technology or literature vs. I dunno, football?- someone in the 'are you a geek about other things' said most people are 'shallowness geeks' which I see as rather descriptive) so my options are usually to bore someone, being bored myself or go somewhere else. Now, as a theoretical adult, I simply know how to entertain myself on my own (f.ex. here), so the business of calling people becomes highly optional :)

hrhenry wrote:
mrwarper wrote:
So, now that I come to think of it... Does anyone here _who is not an interpreter_ really _speak_ regularly more than two languages (the local one and his/her native tongue) face-to-face?

What's your reasoning for excluding interpreters? Is an interpreter's use of languages somehow less valuable?
Of course it's not less valuable. It is simply highly expectable that an interpreter speaks regularly the local language plus any others he knows, so it's kind of cheating.

For example, now I speak Spanish and English quite regularly, but rather as a work requirement than something I'd do on own. The unexpected would be that I regularly spoke German, for example, since I'm not in Germany and I have no German friends nearby. OTOH, with ubiquitous language materials, reading or listening to it would not be so unexpected.

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4671 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 19 of 32
31 July 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I'm not a big reader, so there is no book that could potentially keep me interested in learning a
language long enough that I'd actually be able to read the book in question.

I'm always suprised to find that most forum members -- at least that's the impression I get -- learn languages in
order to read, or at least focus their attention on the written language. I'm interested in talking and understanding
and that's always been my focus.

Due to life circumstance, reading is more practical. I live in a sea of English. Hispanohablantes, are—as far as they
can—trying to assimilate linguistically. I don't blame them, but it does limit speaking opportunity. Neruda's poetry,
on the other hand, is going nowhere. Francophone communities aren't very close. The dangers of living in the
middle of the States. It's just easier to go for the reading angle. Not to say it's impossible, but I'd rather the path of
least resistance.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bobb328
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4386 days ago

52 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 20 of 32
29 November 2012 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
With the obvious choice of Shakespeare for English, I also think writers like James Joyce and F Scott Fitzgerald would be very difficult to translate. Joyce impossible probably, Fitzgerald,
you could get the words right but not the rhythm.

EX:

"Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried
hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine."

"Yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and
then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so
he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will yes."

"The heaventree of stars hung with humid nightblue fruit."

-Ulysses

"The lawn started at the beach and ran toward the front door for a quarter of a mile, jumping over sun-dials and brick walks and burning gardens--finally when it reached the house
drifting up the side in bright vines as though from the momentum of its run. The front was broken by a line of French windows, glowing now with reflected gold and wide open to the
warm windy afternoon"

"In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars"

-The Great Gatsby

I'd also choose Cormac McCarthy books.

limey75
United Kingdom
germanic.eu/
Joined 4200 days ago

119 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Norwegian, Old English

Message 21 of 32
30 November 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I have read somewhere that the English composer Delius learned Norwegian to read Ibsen,

That's exactly why I started learning Dano-Norwegian :)

I can also understand people wanting to learn Biblical Hebrew or classical Arabic so they can read the holy scriptures of approx. 3 billion people in the original. Likewise I've heard of people learning Sanskrit just so they can read the Hindu holy scriptures and epics.

Edited by limey75 on 30 November 2012 at 8:13pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 32
30 November 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
For me so far, the only author worth learning a language has been Fernando Ribeiro, a musician whom I highly respect. Before my decision to learn Portuguese for his books, I knew nothing about the language/country and I already was sort of curious about Spanish. But it wasn't hard at all to fall in love with Portugal and Portuguese :-)

And it was such a great feeling to finally read his books!!! If in doubt, don't hesitate to read something as early as you want! If you're dying to read it, you WILL reread it many times anyway, so why not start early?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4690 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 23 of 32
01 December 2012 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
There are so many! Off the top of my head ...

Works on Islam and the environment, Arabic. I did my thesis on sacred spaces in the
urban environment, and came across two references to an Islamic system of environmental
protection. I could not find anything in English beyond that these, but I got a sense
that there was a wealth of information out there.

Academic works on feng shui, Mandarin.   One of my advisers was an expert in feng shui
/ geomancy, and he said that it was a legitimate academic discipline in classical China
... and that it has little to do with the New Age-type 'face your sofa to the rising
sun to capture the dragon breath' stuff we get in English. In fact, he said none of the
classical texts had been translated.

In terms of literature, I would learn Persian for Rumi, Russian for Tolstoi, Middle
English for Chaucer, and ancient Greek (in process!) for Homer, the Athenians, and the
Septuagint.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5027 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 24 of 32
01 December 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
[...]One of my advisers was an expert in feng shui / geomancy, and he said that it was a legitimate academic discipline in classical China... and that it has little to do with the New Age-type 'face your sofa to the rising sun to capture the dragon breath' stuff we get in English.[...]

Would you mind expanding that a bit? I can't help thinking in that 'sofa/dragon'-type New Age BS whenever I hear about it, but a former legitimate academic discipline sounds genuinely interesting even if discredited by modern findings (think of phrenology, for example).

Edited by mrwarper on 01 December 2012 at 9:59am

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version