United Kingdom
livelanguagelove.bloRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5120 days ago

58 posts - 70 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 15
28 November 2010 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm learning Korean and Japanese, I would like to believe I'm a lot better at Japanese (My Korean is only beginners) and when I'm talking in or using Korean, if I don't know how to say something in Korean I'll just say it in Japanese instead. Fortunately, most of the Korean people I speak to know a little bit of Japanese themselves. ^^
I also see it happening a lot with my English. Some days, I can express myself better in Japanese... hmm... :\
1 person has voted this message useful

niemia
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5463 days ago

19 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Polish, Georgian, Welsh, Arabic (Written), Japanese, Finnish

Message 10 of 15
29 November 2010 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Well, this happens to me a lot. I always start speaking French in Spanish class, or throw a French word into a
Russian sentence etc. French is my most common interference language, but I have little trouble speaking French
exclusively because I have attained a high enough level that I don't really need other languages to support it. My
level of French is, however, detrimental to my Spanish, which is entirely dependent on my knowledge of French (as I
learned it afterwards and not particularly carefully).

The only thing I can say is that you have to get your languages to a reasonably fluent level. That way your brain
won't need to supply bits from other things to complete what you are trying to convey. Until then, I believe that
interference is a rather inevitable phenomenon.   

Aaycle
Bahamas
Joined 4891 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 11 of 15
29 November 2010 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Yes this is happening to me now, I am more familiar and enthused about French than I am about Spanish, and My Lecturer asked me to write a Spanish sentence on the board from the English version already on the board. Well suffice to say, I began in Spanish, and finished in French. I was mortified. But, this experience left me quite humoured and intrigued.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5907 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 12 of 15
29 November 2010 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
When I started Japanese, I had massive interference from my long forgotten high school German, of all things. I am non-fluent in German, but for some reason, when I was searching for Japanese words, this very stale vocabulary would come bubbling up.   I just decided just to go with it, and listened to some Michel Thomas and did some chat rooms in very very rusty German now and then -- only because i was intrigued by the possibility of what I might be able to pick up with zero effort.   

I have the same problem now with Finnish, that I keep thinking of Japanese words when I'm fishing in my brain for Finnish words. I'm still not quite at the self-sustaining level with Japanese though, so I'm not really able to give Finnish the time it needs.

"Yo estudio kielitiedettä y Finlandés ja mie quiero joskus palata a Finlandia opiskelemaan kunnolla."

Ack. :)

RealJames
Diglot
Japan
realizeenglish.com/
Joined 4906 days ago

37 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: French, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 13 of 15
29 November 2010 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
I imagine it has a lot to do with the age at which you start learning the languages, and which one you prefer emotionally.

I pronounce things with a French accent while learning new Japanese, which is about as much as they interfere, but that's it really.

Segata
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4953 days ago

64 posts - 125 votes 
Speaks: German*, Japanese, English
Studies: Korean, Esperanto

Message 14 of 15
29 November 2010 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Back in highschool I used to study French, however I forgot most of what I had learned. Now everytime I try to speak French I use French vocabulary and Japanese grammar.. It's actually kind of awesome now that I think about it. Seems like Japanese took over the part of my brain that was once occupied by French... without even asking!

Edited by Segata on 29 November 2010 at 12:20pm

Préposition
Diglot
France
aspectualpairs.wordp
Joined 4896 days ago

186 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 15 of 15
29 November 2010 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
I do that all the bloody time…
French gets in the way of any other language, little words like "d'accord" or even "mais". I seem to use English syntax for other languages as well, meaning my French has got pretty ridiculous and my parents laugh at me for that! And now, Syrian Arabic is invading me, haha, I think from right to left, as in I tried to draw a flag of France for a class project at uni and I put the blue on the right and the red on the left…

I also substitute English sounds for Arabic ones, starting my "indeed" with an Arabic "3in", or starting a sentence in Arabic and at the end, when wanting to write "etc", spelling it backward. I also say "ay" instead of "yes", "la" for "no" and "mumkin" or "shou" all the time, which is fine with my friends, but back home, I expect it to be a bit awkward, haha.

Edited by Préposition on 29 November 2010 at 3:43pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version