Tags: FSI | Assimil | French
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
vibe
United States
Joined 4923 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes

Message 1 of 2
26 November 2010 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Hello, I've been using French FSI for a while now but looked into Assimil New French with Ease after reading these forums. My question is, there are 113 recordings in Assimil French with Ease, but each recording is around 2 minutes long.

Compared with French FSI, there are more recordings and each is around 30 minutes.

How can Assimil be nearly as good as FSI? In the FSI 30 minute recordings, you get to speak probably 100 times, but I don't see how that is possible using a 2 minute recording from Assimil.

Assimil seems to have a good reputation here so could someone explain to me why its better?
1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 2
27 November 2010 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
vibe wrote:
How can Assimil be nearly as good as FSI?

Quote:
could someone explain to me why its better?

So which is it?

...seriously though, you may well find you don't think so. There's plenty here who don't and who prefer the FSI approach. There are some, like me, who are happy with both, but lean towards Assimil because the they find the time and effort investment is less and there are other who find FSI equivalent to watching paint dry.

Here a couple of thread links to get you started (there are dozens more):

How does Assimil fare against FSI?

Poll: Assimil or FSI
2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version