Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5210 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 15
27 November 2010 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
I'm sure lots of people can identify with this; you wake up one morning and everything
feels just right. You're coasting in your target language, all the words are coming to
you fluidly, you feel confident and awesome.
And then the next day you wake up and everything is wrong. Even phrases and expressions
you clearly know, you can't bring to your lips fast enough, or you pronounce simple
things wrong, are unable to do the simplest tasks in your target language and feel like
you're wading through mud.

I just wanted to know what people usually do in the latter case. How do you cope with
respect to languages when it's a really bad day? I've been having quite a few this past
month, and I'm not quite sure what to do. I feel like studying makes me stupider, and I
certainly don't feel like talking to anyone...
Do you just power through it? Read a book? Does it depend on the language? what do you
do?
4 persons have voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5203 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 2 of 15
27 November 2010 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
I know that feeling well of not going anywhere some days. I'll take a break and do
something which relaxes my mind, sometimes a little meditation which can be very useful,
settle down and get back to a more calm and neutral mental state and start again. I find
when you get into a frustrated train of thought it can be difficult to stop if you don't
step away from what you are doing for a while.

Another thing I sometimes do is go out and jog for 10 minutes and try not to think about
too much. Rest for five minutes and try to empty my mind as much as I can and then get
back to it. As long as you don't overdo it in those ten minutes you can get a nice boost
in alertness and brain function.
3 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6335 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 3 of 15
27 November 2010 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Very good topic. When I get a lot of days per month like this, there is always something in my life causing stress.
Find the source, and eliminate it. I know - easier said than done. Good luck.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4915 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 15
27 November 2010 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Of course we all have those days. And those days where we feel like studying is doing no good at all, too.

If you want to keep at your language learning on those days, just make it a passive day. Listen to music/radio in the target language without worrying about each and every word. Or watch a movie. But don't worry about every word or nuance. Just take it in and enjoy it. Personally, I wouldn't read in the target language on a bad day - I'd be tempted to look up every word I didn't know, frustrating me even more.

R.
==

stout
Ireland
Joined 5156 days ago

108 posts - 140 votes 
Studies: French

Message 5 of 15
28 November 2010 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Sure you get good days and bad days when it comes to language learning..That's part and
parcel of language learning...It is unrealistic to enjoy language learning all time.

Edited by stout on 28 November 2010 at 1:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5744 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 15
28 November 2010 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
I'm currently having more blah days than not and am finding that these things help;
...watching and echo'ing dialog from favorite movies.
...working with songs, that I really like.
...going to native speaker gatherings, where you already know people who are encouraging. In large gatherings, you don't necessarily have to talk. There's a pick-me-up from comprehending things as well as hearing phrases which use words that you never thought of combining together.

And of course, make sure you take care of yourself by getting enough sleep, eating properly and getting enough exercise.

Good luck!
4 persons have voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5120 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 7 of 15
28 November 2010 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
What sometime gets me down is thinking about all the expressions, idioms and little nuances that I know in Dutch and English which reminds me of how much of French there still is that I don't know. I sometimes focus too much on the mountain still in front of me instead of looking at where I am and just working to get better, baby step by baby step.

Whenever this happens or I can't work up the motivation to do serious work on French I pick out a DVD (preferably of a film I know and love) with French audio and just sit back and listen. Hearing the language and noticing how much progress I've made in just a few months always gets me motivated again.

Edited by ReneeMona on 28 November 2010 at 6:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanishdream
United Kingdom
Joined 4895 days ago

11 posts - 14 votes
Studies: French, Spanish, Italian

Message 8 of 15
28 November 2010 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm new here and I certainly understand the frustrations behind this.

What I tend to do is simply power through it and eventually it'll click again. However, I
can have days where this is impossible. I just pack everything away and then pick off
where I left off tomorrow. Studying everyday is impossible anyway.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version