Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5106 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 1 of 9
27 November 2010 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Since the acceptance of Ayn Rand somewhat lowered the bar, I believe it's only fair to introduce German comedian Hape Kerkeling who speaks Dutch, Spanish, Italian, French and of course English and all with a decent accent.
Being a comedian, he's also good at coming up with fake languages a la Melnikov as the following video demonstrates.

Hape Kerkeling - Deutsche im Ausland

I'm curious whether the faked languages starting at 02:32 (Czech/Slovak?) and 02:54 (Danish?) actually contain some real words from these languages.

1 person has voted this message useful

eumiro
Bilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5060 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 2 of 9
27 November 2010 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
02:32 is definitely no Czech/Slovak. 'Atencje' looks like 'attention', but not in
Czech/Slovak (both languages use 'pozor').

It sounds more like Polish, but it might be just a 'lorem ipsum' with Polish intonation
and sounds, but no real words.
2 persons have voted this message useful

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5126 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 3 of 9
27 November 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Hape Kerkeling is definitely one of my favourite German comedians out there, and he's really so talented! And for those of you who like to know more about the pilgrimage that Hape did to Santiago de la Compostela, you should read his book! It's definitely good practise for those who are learning German to improve their German!   

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5106 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 9
27 November 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
eumiro wrote:
02:32 is definitely no Czech/Slovak. 'Atencje' looks like 'attention', but not in Czech/Slovak (both languages use 'pozor').

I guessed Czech/Slovak because, AFAIK, in Polish the word for attention is Uwaga. But since speaking in fake languages is part of his act, I'd have been surprised if he had actually used some words that do exist in another language.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6489 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 9
27 November 2010 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
In the 'Danish' section he managed to say "hvor du end er" with just one error: "dü" instead of "du". But this sentence was the only comprehensible thing, and the "attento anttento" in the beginning sounded decidedly non-Danish. Nevertheless an enjoyable clip.

Edited by Iversen on 24 March 2011 at 1:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

globus
Pentaglot
Germany
learnwithmusic.wordp
Joined 5397 days ago

28 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Dutch, Polish

Message 6 of 9
27 November 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Here you can listen to him singing "Waar Is De Zon" from Willeke AlbertIE (not Albertij)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBFXIIMHvcI

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5346 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 7 of 9
29 November 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
I know I shouldn't really laugh at people talking in funny foreign voices, but I did. Lots. I guess it makes it a bit better that he really does speak some/most of them.

Looking forward to the new clip later (I can't watch it here, in case I embarrass myself).

languagefreak
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5033 days ago

51 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*
Studies: German

Message 8 of 9
24 March 2011 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
I don't know much about Hape but I have seen his youtube videos and think he is great. Does anyone know about
his biography? At what age did he start all those languages he learned? Out of the languages he speaks, I can only
understand English, but there are youtube clips of him speaking Italian, dutch, and other languages during
interviews. Is his accent in his other languages as good as in English?

Did he learn any of his languages in adulthood( lets say starting it between 15-20 years old)?

Edited by languagefreak on 24 March 2011 at 6:55am

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version