livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6906 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 17 of 19
10 December 2010 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
Another 22-year old checking in.

My first exposure to a foreign language came when I was in fifth grade and my teachers
somehow got the horribly mistaken idea in their heads that I was really good at math,
so they pulled me out of math hour and set me up with a Spanish tutor instead. I don't
remember caring one way or the other about it (it was more "what? I don't have to do
math anymore? Well, cool").

Over the years, though, my interest in languages grew exponentially and I became a
serial dabbler, displaying all the symptoms familiar to everyone on this forum-
ordering grammar books from Amazon with my meager allowance, beelining straight for the
dictionary section in bookstores, Googling "learn x language," signing up for every
language course available at school.

Unfortunately, this left me in a graveyard of unrealized potential:

Spanish? I've studied it formally for eight years and currently rest somewhere around a
low intermediate level.

French? A year of high school study and two years living in Montreal somehow didn't
manage to catapult me beyond stuttering out phrases like "Sorry, I don't speak French."

Giving up my high school lunch hour every day for three years and taking a German class
when I was in Sweden yielded similarly unspectacular results.

Five months in Korea and I literally can't say "what's your name?" in Korean.

Three years of Latin- it feels like exaggeration to even call myself a Latin beginner.

A year of Russian instruction and a brief but passionate love affair with the language
when I was living in New Zealand... can I converse in Russian? Um... er... well... no.

I could continue- Hindi, Arabic, Italian, on and on as my face gets redder and redder.

Somewhere in there, I did spend a year as an exchange student in Sweden and thus
experience my first real language success. It was a bit of a shock when I realized that
studying languages isn't just fun, it can also- you might want to be sitting down for
this one, folks- eventually allow you to speak and understand them. Whoa.

I'm currently studying Turkish, and I'm bound and determined that I'm going to learn
this darn language if it's the last thing I do. I've been going strong for around eight
months now, much longer than I've lasted with any previous language, and I'm already
lightyears ahead of where my aborted attempts with Russian/Arabic/etc etc (oh God) etc
left me. It's a great feeling. I think part of the difference is that my motivation is
much higher this time around. I recently spent three months in Turkey, made Turkish
friends, and somewhere along the line fell deeply and completely in love with the
country, its people, and its bizarre yet beautiful language brimming with "ch" and
"sh".

So fascination/addiction/obsession (call it what you will) is one major factor. Age, I
think, doesn't really play a part for me- except that it took me around ten years to
get so sick of looking at my mental pile of failed languages, all the while calling
myself a "language lover" and a "language nerd", that I had to storm off to the
bookstore with something to prove.
1 person has voted this message useful

J S
Netherlands
Joined 4887 days ago

25 posts - 31 votes
Studies: Irish, English*
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 18 of 19
10 December 2010 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
crescend0 wrote:
After about 2 months of doing pimsleur and faffing around reading about HOW to learn the language instead of actually learning it

I had to laugh when I read this, crescend0, because I recognised myself. As several posters have said: success has a lot to do with passion for learning the language. For myself, part of the reason I love to learn languages is because I love to learn. Which means part of what I LOVE is "faffing around reading about HOW to learn."

If I spent as much time actually reading French or Dutch as I do reading this forum and other language-learning web sites... well, it is overwhelming to think how much further along I might be. It feels as though I am not being "disciplined" in my approach to learning, and I am often quite hard on myself for it. But I work to recognise this is fun too -- almost (but not really) as fun as feeling confident in L2 language skills -- and give myself some credit for doing what I enjoy.

So, for the original poster, I recommend putting a bit of time into understanding what you love about learning languages and being kind to yourself if your path does not lead you to highest fluency in the shortest amount of time. You can enjoy the journey along the way, including all the distractions and deviations it brings you.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version