Groupie
United States
Joined 5375 days ago

56 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 11
29 November 2010 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
What do you do when you come across people who speak your target language?

I ask because I have come across several situations within the past few weeks where I have overheard a conversation in my target language.

On the one hand, I'd love to get some practice in the language and perhaps meet some new and interesting people. On the other hand, I really can't carry a conversation in the language yet, I can only understand some phrases and sentences, and I'm wondering if it would be a little weird to try to start a conversation with a complete stranger simply because they are speaking another language - which I myself cannot even speak. I'm sure I could eek out something like "I heard that you are speaking Russian. In fact, I am studying Russian now" in my target language, but I would probably have trouble responding to any sort of reply or question they may put forward.

So far, I've tried to overhear what they are speaking about (usually with great difficulty and little success), but I haven't really engaged any of them in conversation. What do most of you do in this type of situation, where you overhear someone speaking a language you are learning, but are not yet at the level where you can converse in the language itself?

Edited by dagojr on 29 November 2010 at 12:41am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6489 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 11
29 November 2010 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
I would only enter a conversation if the theme and situation made it natural to do so, and only if I could participate on a fairly reasonable level. Just wanting to learn the language spoken by somebody else would not be reason enough to mingle into their private discussions.

But I wouldn't have any qualms about eavesdropping discretely.
5 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4916 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 3 of 11
29 November 2010 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Personally, I wouldn't approach strangers just for the sake of practicing, particularly if I couldn't really have a meaningful conversation. If, on the other hand, I could ask and answer simple questions and overheard them trying to figure something out about my city (I'm assuming you're in a largish city and these people are tourists), then yes, I would offer my help, explaining that I speak a little of their language and could I help?, etc.

If it's practice you're after, I'd rather search out a regular conversation partner - get together one or twice a week - and get more comfortable with basic conversation skills.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4901 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 4 of 11
29 November 2010 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
The only time anything like this has happened to me, it was easy to start a conversation. It was at a get-together for a program at my school, so there was already that connection. I found out that two of the new guys in the program were from Germany, so when I started chatting with them I said "Ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch!" They were very excited about it and complimented my accent. But I can't say a whole lot in German so after that the conversation stayed in English. It was exciting, though!

Edit: Further thoughts: If I heard someone speaking Esperanto, I would definitely talk to them. I suppose it's because of the inherent community in being an Esperantist. We'd already have something in common, compared to me and someone I heard speaking German on the street.

Edited by Lianne on 29 November 2010 at 2:02am

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5211 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 11
29 November 2010 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Strangers are tricky if your level is still low. But I find that much better than
strangers are people you can see regularly, for just 1 or 2 minutes. For example, my
barber is Russian, and we chat quite a bit (not in Russian, I wouldn't know the first
thing to say!) at regular intervals. The guy at the corner store is Korean, so I always
give him a little hello, 30 seconds about a basketball team we both like, etc. The
taxi drivers around my house are almost all haitian, so I always make sure I ask them
where they're from in Haiti, how they are etc. in Creole.

Like that, I bet you could be able to find a community of russian speakers with whom
you could have 'normal' interactions not as strangers but as client/host or whatever
other kind of similar relationship. It helps because you actually make friends with the
people after you see them for a bit.

If all else fails, sabotage public transportation. Nothing gets people talking to
strangers as much as waiting 30 minutes at the bus stop or being stuck in the subway ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6445 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 6 of 11
29 November 2010 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Are there any grocery stores or other shops in your area that cater to immigrants from countries that speak your target language? It might help to shop there once in a while. You may meet other people who speak your target language, or you might at least overhear that language.

It's also possible they might sell newspapers or magazines in that language. At the very least, products with labels in that language could be learning materials. On a backpacking trip to Europe years ago, one of my prized souvenirs was a small multilingual cereal box.

Finally, I remember seeing a Chinese grocery store in another city that had a bulletin board. If you find a store with such a bulletin board, you might be able to post that you're looking for a tutor or language partner or conversation partner.

RealJames
Diglot
Japan
realizeenglish.com/
Joined 4910 days ago

37 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: French, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 11
29 November 2010 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
SamD I think that's a great idea!

Grocery stores, I imagine restaurants too, and maybe perhaps, depending on the size of the town, international student clubs, are probably all great places to practice!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 11
29 November 2010 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
If you think they speak English or another common language, you can use my favourite method.

When you hear they speak their own language, you exclaim "Ahh - you speak (language X) I love that!" They will then usually ask if you speak it (and at this point it is worth while to be humble). You will go, "Oh, I only speak a few words, a few sentences, or a little - all depending on the level you are at) and then produce a sentence or two. After that you play it by ear. If they are widely enthusiastic, you can play out your entire repertoire. If they just smile politely, you say "nice meeting you/ thank you/ goodbye - whichever you can - and you walk away.

It works every time. Taking their signals is V E R Y important though.

I still cringe at a 30 year old memory, when I was at a Spanish disco with some Spanish friends. They were so excited to hear me speak English with a young English couple, that I missed the signals from the young girl that she wasn't interrested in continuing the conversation, and kept chatting happily with her and her boyfriend until she screamed "Sod off, you silly cow".

I sure got that signal.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version