United States
piketransitions
Joined 5210 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 1 of 5
29 November 2010 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
I think that I am more than likely going to use FSI's program for Swedish, but as a supplement what do you all think would be better: Teach yourself or Colloquial? My purpose behind these two offerings is that they are what is easily accessible. Many thanks in advance!
1 person has voted this message useful

Impiegato
Triglot
Sweden
bsntranslation.
Joined 5246 days ago

100 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Italian
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian

Message 2 of 5
29 November 2010 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
JPike1028 wrote:
I think that I am more than likely going to use FSI's program for Swedish, but as a supplement what do you all think would be better: Teach yourself or Colloquial? My purpose behind these two offerings is that they are what is easily accessible. Many thanks in advance!

I don't know anything about the FSI program. Could you please tell me a little bit more. It sounds like colloquial is a little bit more about the spoken language - is that correct? What is your main objective for learning Swedish?

Lindsay19
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5634 days ago

183 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC1
Studies: Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic

Message 3 of 5
30 November 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
I'm personally using Assimil for Swedish and love the method; the only problem is that
it's only available in certain languages, not including English for this language
unfortunately I'm unsure if they have one in Italian.

I actually also used Teach Yourself alongside of Assimil with some other books so I
could get the full explanations of grammar. I've never used the Colloquial version, so
I can't say anything regarding that. Though you didn't ask about it, I wouldn't
recommend "Beginner's Swedish", I find it almost insulting in its simplicity, and the
dialogs seem to be mainly business based (the newest version anyway).

As I understand it, FSI is a drilling program with a fun factor of zero, aimed for
those living in the country and requiring acquisition of the language as fast as
possible. I know that Professor Alexander Arguelles has done video reviews on several
of the available language learning programs:

FSI

Colloquial

Teach Yourself

whatever you do choose, I would highly suggest using more than one method at a time.
Good luck (:
2 persons have voted this message useful

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5688 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 4 of 5
30 November 2010 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
This is just me but I would say use them all! Pick the one you want to start with, work on that all the way through,
and then move on to another. Each time you'll come across new and old vocabulary and concepts of grammar that
you may know and not know. So each time it is a little bit of review and you are learning something new each time.

I would also suggest getting another course along side that. As stated above, maybe an Assimil course.

2 persons have voted this message useful

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5210 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 5 of 5
30 November 2010 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
I would love to do the Assimil course, but as stated it is not offered in English and I am not yet fluent enough in French to use the French language version (perhaps after I use my French Assimil program). I do like the idea of using all of them, I have never actually used Colloquial so am interested in seeing how that works for me. As I said, I intend to start with FSI - so perhaps I will focus on that until I get through it and then I can pick from that point what I want to use next. Any programs I use are in conjunction with my own personal study formula which currently includes a lot of native radio and dictionary/grammar work. I just like the supplements to aid me in my process. Thanks for the advice thus far, I definitely would welcome more!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version