Diglot
United States
Joined 6172 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 81 of 172
25 December 2010 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
I am in as well. I am usually so very fickle in my studies. I can never decide on a language for very long, and I am always so distracted with multiple languages that I get very little done. I would like to do it for a full two months. I have Assimil Dutch, and went through the first 10 lessons over a year ago. I don't remember hardly anything, although just skimming through the first couple lessons, I realize I have retained a bit. I also have Pimsleur Dutch (10 lessons) and michel thomas foundation course. I saw an advanced michel thomas that I'd like to pick up as well. I will use Pimsleur and Michel Thomas whenever I'm driving, which can add up to 1-2 hours on an average day. After I have complete Pimsleur and Michel Thomas courses, I will use the time in the car to begin assimilating native resources that I find. Hopefully this thread will yield even more resources for us all to utilize. My focused at home/at work while on breaks etc. studies will use Assimil dutch which has 84 lessons. My goal is to complete all of these 6 weeks, although I will give myself the extra two weeks to complete anything I haven't at the 6 week mark, as well as using that time to begin a long term plan to continue improving my Dutch while reading, listening, watching movies etc.

One thing I have ALWAYS done is used Anki in conjunction with my language learning. I feel that it has its merits. However, vocabulary should be acquirable through more natural methods, such as simply reading and listening to entire narratives, whether short as in Assimil, or longer short stories or entire books. My thought is to open an Anki deck to put words that I want to remember, but aren't that common. For instance, the word for a technical item or something that I see and want to remember how to say, but I don't anticipate I will see too often so as to assimilate it properly.

With my daily driving to/from/for work, and the around 4 hours a day, 6 days a week for dedicated studying, I should be more than able to complete all this. I will have one free day a week to catch up for any lost time, and after 6 weeks I should have completed 144 hours, not including 1-2 hours a day of in the car learning.
1 person has voted this message useful

MegatronFilm
Triglot
United States
peligrosa.tumblr.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5724 days ago

130 posts - 275 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 82 of 172
26 December 2010 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
marvelgirll wrote:
[QUOTE=egill]
Participants:
1. Sprachprofi
2. amuzulo
3. doviende
4. Noriyuki_nomura
5. Vini
6. ellasevia
7. Omenapuu00
8. rad
9. --Romanist-- (no longer in)
10. b.reeze
11. J.S.
12. Hakan D
13. polyglossia
14. egill
15. marvelgirll
16. Megatronfilm

Might participate:
Volte

Dutch help:
ReneeMona

I added myself in :)

I'm starting from complete scratch with Michel Thomas, Essential Dutch Grammar and Essential Dutch Dictionary.

marrubizko
Diglot
United States
Joined 5310 days ago

21 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Italian

Message 83 of 172
27 December 2010 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
Sorry for signing up at the last minute like this, but I have decided I would like to join in. I have no prior experience
with Dutch, but I would like to take advantage of this opportunity in order to learn a bit of a language I know very
little about, especially because there are native speakers willing to help.

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6172 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 84 of 172
27 December 2010 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
marvelgirll wrote:
egill wrote:

Participants:
1. Sprachprofi
2. amuzulo
3. doviende
4. Noriyuki_nomura
5. Vini
6. ellasevia
7. Omenapuu00
8. rad
9. --Romanist-- (no longer in)
10. b.reeze
11. J.S.
12. Hakan D
13. polyglossia
14. egill
15. marvelgirll
16. Megatronfilm
17. senor_smile
18. Marrubizko

Might participate:
Volte

Dutch help:
ReneeMona

Updated list.

Edited by senor_smile on 27 December 2010 at 5:16am

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6172 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 85 of 172
27 December 2010 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
I couldn't wait until Jan 3, especially since I'm on vacation until then and have a seemingly unlimited amount of free time until then. I have started Assimil Dutch and have a question for the native/experienced speakers.

The title of tweede les is
Quote:
bij de ontvanger.

The pronunciation key says
Quote:
bei d: ontfAng:r

I however don't hear the "n" or "g" at all. Is it actually being pronounced and I just can't hear it, or is it left out all together producing something like
Quote:
bei d: ontfA:r

?
2 persons have voted this message useful

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5190 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 86 of 172
27 December 2010 at 9:54am | IP Logged 
I'm not a native, but I would suggest: dont bother with such problems!! Just listen... and repeat !! Rules of pronunciation are OK if you're a professional linguist working on phonetics or phonology.. As for me, even if I am one, I just try to learn language as if I were a child... I'm an "auditive person", so I do need to listen in order to learn... Then (and only after then), I do read the text... Since dutch is written using latin letters, you may be confusing while you read it... So, here is what I do:
1)I listen to sentence
2) I listen again, until I know it by heart
3) I look at the translation
4) do 2) again
5) I read the dutch text
6) since I memorized the intonation and the way of pronunciation, reading the sentence in dutch is not any more a problem : I can read and pronounce it as if were Dutch

Now I reckon it's hard to cope up with such a method, since it seems a very slow way to handle it... and I'm not saying it's "the method"... it's just mine... it works for me, but maybe not for others...

Good luck!!
3 persons have voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5482 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 87 of 172
27 December 2010 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
I couldn't wait until Jan 3, especially since I'm on vacation until then and have a seemingly unlimited amount of free time
until then. I have started Assimil Dutch and have a question for the native/experienced speakers.

The title of tweede les is
Quote:
bij de ontvanger.

The pronunciation key says
Quote:
bei d: ontfAng:r

I however don't hear the "n" or "g" at all. Is it actually being pronounced and I just can't hear it, or is it left out all together producing
something like
Quote:
bei d: ontfA:r

?

Not a native speaker, but on my recording I hear the [ŋ] (ng sound in English sing), which should be what it's supposed to be.
2 persons have voted this message useful

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6172 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 88 of 172
27 December 2010 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
polyglossia wrote:
I'm not a native, but I would suggest: dont bother with such problems!! Just listen... and repeat !! Rules of pronunciation are OK if you're a professional linguist working on phonetics or phonology.. As for me, even if I am one, I just try to learn language as if I were a child... I'm an "auditive person", so I do need to listen in order to learn... Then (and only after then), I do read the text... Since dutch is written using latin letters, you may be confusing while you read it... So, here is what I do:
1)I listen to sentence
2) I listen again, until I know it by heart
3) I look at the translation
4) do 2) again
5) I read the dutch text
6) since I memorized the intonation and the way of pronunciation, reading the sentence in dutch is not any more a problem : I can read and pronounce it as if were Dutch

Now I reckon it's hard to cope up with such a method, since it seems a very slow way to handle it... and I'm not saying it's "the method"... it's just mine... it works for me, but maybe not for others...

Good luck!!

I am actually following quite closely Mr. Arguelles' method which is as follows (taken directly from his post in 2005):
    1. I then shadow this tape repeatedly until I begin to grow familiar with the pronunciation and intonation, and until I have figured out as much as I can of what is being said on my own.
    2. Then I turn to the book and shadow while reading the teaching language so that I understand globally what I have been saying.
    3. Slowly I switch to shadowing while reading the target language so that I learn to read it.
    4. Each day I go through the notes of several lessons to catch the fine points.

So, it surprised me to see this whole series of letters that I didn't perceive at all. Thanks for posting how you're using the book though. It's good to compare.

@egill: Thanks. I still don't hear it, but I will trust that I will in other places.

Edited by senor_smile on 27 December 2010 at 10:27am

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version