United States
peligrosa.tumblr.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5698 days ago

130 posts - 275 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 97 of 172
04 January 2011 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I just skyped with my Belgian friend and told him that I am learning Dutch. He was so excited and had me read
some passages from my Assimil book and say some things that I've learned from listening to the Michel Thomas
audio. I can tell that I will need some help with pronunciation. He joked that I should learn the "real Dutch",
Flemish, and taught me a few colloquialisms.

My friend mentioned that he has been learning to cook through this show:
Belgian cooking show

It might be good practice for anyone who wants to learn the Flemish dialect or learn easy Belgian dishes.

Edited by MegatronFilm on 04 January 2011 at 10:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 98 of 172
06 January 2011 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
I just upped the stakes: on February 19th I will give a lecture in Dutch at the
Leuven language festival. I purchased the flight, contacted Pasporta Servo hosts to stay
with and confirmed my participation to the event organizer, so it's do or die now. Only
bright side is that this language festival is organized by the local Esperanto group, so
if necessary I can have an Esperanto-Dutch interpreter for the Q&A session afterwards,
not for the lecture though.

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5164 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 99 of 172
06 January 2011 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Pretty impressive actually !! Good luck with the lecture !
1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5095 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 100 of 172
06 January 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Wow, now that's what I call guts! What is your lecture going to be about?

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6146 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 101 of 172
06 January 2011 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I just upped the stakes: on February 19th I will give a lecture in Dutch at the
Leuven language festival. I purchased the flight, contacted Pasporta Servo hosts to stay
with and confirmed my participation to the event organizer, so it's do or die now. Only
bright side is that this language festival is organized by the local Esperanto group, so
if necessary I can have an Esperanto-Dutch interpreter for the Q&A session afterwards,
not for the lecture though.

How is it going so far? Do you feel like Dutch is possibly the easiest language you've ever learned? For me, and English speaker, it is feeling that way so far.

I have hit a wall of being too busy and only being able to get about 1.5 hours of study in a day this week. I don't think I'll have enough time to acquire a large chunck of the language by mid February.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 102 of 172
06 January 2011 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
My lecture is going to be a mini-course of German for Dutch speakers, so the topic will
be easy for me.

So far I've mostly been preparing materials like the Assimil active wave Anki deck with
sound and a huge vocabulary deck, because I have the flu and find it hard to concentrate.
I also listen to Dutch TV in the background a lot, hoping to absorb the accent.

Dutch is of course easy to understand, knowing both German and English. Sometimes I want
to translate e. g. "mijn dochter is ziek" as "meine Tochter is sick". However, I have
found in the past that this prevents me from soaking up vocabulary as quickly as I'd soak
up e. g. Latin vocabulary because the words are too similar; my brain doesn't consider it
worthwhile to learn them separately ;-)

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6146 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 103 of 172
11 January 2011 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
I just found what looks like a daily news recording from the Netherlands with exact
subtitles of everything being said. some of the news I saw is stuff from this morning,
so it looks like it's updated often.

http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b3217.htm

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5746 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 104 of 172
11 January 2011 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
I guess I'd agree with the above statement that Dutch is the easiest thing I've ever tried (as a speaker of English and German already), but that doesn't mean it's trivial. I still have a lot of trouble picking out words from audio that I already "know" in print. That'll fix itself with time, though.

So far I've put in 24hrs of Dutch study time since the beginning of the year, and I can figure out the general meaning of a lot of stuff that I read. Right now I'm working through Harry Potter #1, with the audiobook, and trying to focus on connecting what I hear with what I read.

The current problem is that I'm only 12% of the way through my planned hours, but 25% through the available days, mostly due to low productivity last week when I wasn't getting much sleep. I'll report back next week and we'll see if that changes :)

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version