Hobbema
United States
Joined 5523 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 145 of 172
28 January 2011 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Ik wil mijn vocabulaire van Assimil gebruiken.   Als ik denk even na, ik ben een lerar, en ik ben een leerling, omdat ik alleen studeer. Mijn beroep is ingeneiur, maar ik wil taalen studeer. Of, ik zou een muzikant of een kunstenaar willen zijn. Nu weet het wat wel de Nederlandse taal is niet moeilijk, maar ik heb nog niet genoeg oefenen.

Okay, so I wrote the few lines above directly into Dutch using the Michel Thomas and some of the vocabulary I have from Assimil. As a cross check I pasted it into Google Translate and the machine nastily butchered it all up...it seems to be structured okay based on the rules I have learned, but what I tried to say was:

“I want to use my vocabulary from Assimil. If I think for a moment, I am a teacher, and I am a student, because I study alone. My profession is engineer, but I want to study languages. Or I would want to be a musician or an artist. Yes, now I know (or, I now know well) the Dutch language is not difficult, but I have yet to practice (exercise) enough.”

I’ve written in Dutch often before, while using a dictionary, as an exercise and a learning activity, and just for fun. I think about that now and cringe, wondering what I sound like. I’m at the stage now where I’m starting to appreciate just how much I don’t know yet. :)

Edited by Hobbema on 28 January 2011 at 6:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 146 of 172
29 January 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
How's everyone else doing with their goals? Any problems or new insights?
I set a very modest goal for passive understanding of Dutch and so far I'm happy with the results. I understand about half of what I read or listen to though I haven't attempted to read or listen to anything particularly challenging, but I really should do so.

As for insights, having previous knowledge of Afrikaans is definitely a mixed blessing here, though it sometimes does make learning vocabulary easier. The languages are just similar enough that I cannot avoid comparing and contrasting them in my mind even though I know that it is a waste of time. I did decide to completely ignore Afrikaans for a few weeks, otherwise I would have become very confused.

Knowing Afrikaans to almost an intermediate level has also made me recognize differences in the two languages, however minor they may be, especially when it comes to word order. Pronunciation is interesting too, since I want to pronounce Dutch the same way I pronounce Afrikaans and that won't work well, the key here is to pay attention to, and then remember, the distinctions between vowel sounds especially the double vowels and diphthongs which are pronounced differently.

Edited by mick33 on 29 January 2011 at 11:40pm

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 148 of 172
30 January 2011 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Reneemona and I are the two people who wrote that we will help with the Dutch in the challenge, but until now nobody wrote somethings, except Hobbema.

I think other people have been writing in Dutch as well, just not here. I've been writing in my own log, for example. Were we supposed to write in Dutch in this thread? I was a bit unclear on how this was supposed to work.

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5117 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 149 of 172
30 January 2011 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Good job, Kuikentje, only nadenk is one word.

I thought the purpose of this thread was that it's a central log where everyone can post about milestones, questions, observations, etc. However, we already have three Dutch-spoken threads if I remember correctly and we also have the Dutch FAQ thread so I don't think everyone necessarily needs to post everything here.

As for people writing in their own logs, I've been consistently reading every log with a Dutch-tag but I'm a scatterbrain so when I haven't corrected people's Dutch, it's probably because I didn't have time, made a mental note to get back to it and completely forgot about it. I also found out today that while I thought I had a pretty good mental list of everyone who studies Dutch, there have actually been a few that have slipped through my nets.

Edited by ReneeMona on 31 January 2011 at 11:16am

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5523 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 150 of 172
30 January 2011 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
I think other people have been writing in Dutch as well, just not here. I've been writing in my own log, for example. Were we supposed to write in Dutch in this thread? I was a bit unclear on how this was supposed to work.

I don't know if there were any expectations about where or what to write for this challenge; I myself have written here, and also have been writing in my log. But I wrote here for a couple of different reasons:

1. I specifically was hoping for corrections (Thanks Kuikentje and ReneeMona!)

2. There are times where I can't spend a lot of time reading in the forum due to other stuff going on in my life, so I like to check this 6WC thread to see how the challenge is going. Ellasevia, I read your log regularly, so I know you have a lot of things happening with your studies, but if some other people don't post, it's hard to pick up on the positive energy of working on Dutch together.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 151 of 172
03 February 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
Is anyone using Assimil for Dutch from a non-English base? I'm asking because I've noticed that on a lot of
their courses in French or German, for example, there is a specific label on the front cover indicating what
level of the CEFR the method should bring you to. For example, on the cover of my French-based
Romanian and Swedish Assimil books, it says B2 and B1 respectively. For some reason my English-based
books (Dutch and Japanese) say nothing of the sort.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6252 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 152 of 172
03 February 2011 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
I'm using the German version. It doesn't say which CEFR level. I think only the very
latest Assimil courses do, and this one is not too recent.

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version