Joined 5116 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 89 of 172
27 December 2010 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
egill wrote:
senor_smile wrote:
I couldn't wait until Jan 3, especially since I'm on vacation until then and have a seemingly unlimited amount of free time
until then. I have started Assimil Dutch and have a question for the native/experienced speakers.

The title of tweede les is
Quote:
bij de ontvanger.

The pronunciation key says
Quote:
bei d: ontfAng:r

I however don't hear the "n" or "g" at all. Is it actually being pronounced and I just can't hear it, or is it left out all together producing
something like
Quote:
bei d: ontfA:r

?

Not a native speaker, but on my recording I hear the [ŋ] (ng sound in English sing), which should be what it's supposed to be.

True, the combination -ng is pronounced the same as in English.
1 person has voted this message useful

FadedStardust
Diglot
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

19 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: German, Dutch

Message 90 of 172
27 December 2010 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't worry about it too overly much, just listen as much as you can and try to enjoy the experience. And if it at all helps, even though we write it as two different letters, -ng or just /ŋ/ in the IPA really is just one sound, so you're not missing a "whole series" of letters, rather only one tiny sound. Just pronounce it when you shadow and you will be fine! =)

And P.S. I've listened to the recording in question and I hear the -ng sound

Edited by FadedStardust on 27 December 2010 at 12:59pm

enjiru
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5619 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: German, English*, French, Latin
Studies: Japanese, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch

Message 91 of 172
28 December 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
I would like to participate as well. Thank you.

Vasilis
Tetraglot
Greece
Joined 4867 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishB2, FrenchB2, Dutch
Studies: ItalianA1, Turkish, Esperanto, Icelandic

Message 92 of 172
28 December 2010 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
I couldn't wait until Jan 3, especially since I'm on vacation until then and have a seemingly unlimited amount of free time until then. I have started Assimil Dutch and have a question for the native/experienced speakers.

The title of tweede les is
Quote:
bij de ontvanger.

The pronunciation key says
Quote:
bei d: ontfAng:r

I however don't hear the "n" or "g" at all. Is it actually being pronounced and I just can't hear it, or is it left out all together producing something like
Quote:
bei d: ontfA:r

?

Don't worry. It's too early to distinguish the subtle sounds hidden in a dutch -ng. By the time you'll get used to it. Plus, you 'll find out that if a Flemish was pronouncing the same word the -g sound would be harder and more characteristic.

Another remark: though most of grammar books say that dutch "v" is pronounced like English "f", the truth lies somewhere in between. The actual dutch "v" is a sound between English "v" and "f". It is as if you were trying to pronounce both letters with a single sound.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5474 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 93 of 172
02 January 2011 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Copied from my new TAC log:

'Well, that's torn it. I've just gone and started Dutch. The pull of the tempting January Challenge was just too much, and I grabbed my old "Colloquial" book off the shelf and started reading it. We'll see how this develops.'

So, I guess this means I'm in. It's a terrible, terrible decision, but I am in thrall to my wanderlust, so it's not really MY decision. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5185 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 94 of 172
03 January 2011 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
gelukkig nieuwjaar 2011 !!!!!!!!!!

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5185 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 95 of 172
03 January 2011 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Obviously, there's nothing new with the January Dutch Challenge !!

So my questions are:
1/ who's going to be the first to post in Dutch?? :D
2/ Shall we write using this thread ? (or did I miss sthg?)

OK... enough for today... btw I've a headache, I'm coughing a lot and... well... I just hope to feel better in the coming days in order to write on this thread...

My goal for the JDC :

I thought about writing a fictive letter to a friend... one paragraph each time... a short text everytime but a long letter at the end of the process...
does that fit in the JDC process or should I try sthg else?

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5522 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 96 of 172
03 January 2011 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Ik heb een goede begin met mijn Assimil Dutch with Ease. Ik ben klaar met Les 14. Het was een overzicht. Ik hoop dat als ik een les elke dag doe, dat makt het goede resultaten. Mijn methode voor deze uitdaging is in het Nederlands te schrijven. Dan zal ik een woordenboek gebruiken voor de woorden die ik weet niet.

Mijn Nederlands is nog niet zo goed.   Als mijn berichten hier klinken als Pimsleur, wees niet boos!

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version