Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5095 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 161 of 172
10 February 2011 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi, I posted a correction on lang-8. Just thought I'd let you know it was me in case you have any questions.

By the way, I looked up the festival in Leuven and decided to sign up because it's only a couple of hours away and it looks like fun. If it's alright with you, I'd really like to come listen to your presentation as well.

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 162 of 172
10 February 2011 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Renee! You made me realize a few grammar points that I had managed to miss.
It's so easy to just talk Dutch - went to a Dutch evening a few days ago and truly
enjoyed myself just speaking the language - but people are too polite to correct me
then. I shall write a lot more on lang-8 in order to eliminate mistakes.

Here's one question: my dictionary lists "alle" as well as "allemaal" as translation
for "all". What is the difference between these two words?

I don't mind if you come to my lecture, and I also won't blame you if you prefer to see
Lingala, Thai or the like. The Leuven Talenfestival will be awesome, and it's the
perfect place for January Dutch Challenge people to practise their Dutch while being
language geeks! :-)

I have loved the idea of language festivals ever since I first heard about them, even
spent a day with the inventor and considered organizing a language festival in
Duisburg, but I've never been to one yet. The only one I knew about was the annual
language festival in Ĉeboksari (not sure about the English or Russian spelling), but
it's so hard to get to. Go to Moscow and then it's still 12 hours by train... So when
Marek told me about the Leuven language festival at the Junulara Esperanto Semajno on
New Year's Day, I knew I had to go. And I knew I had to try to give a lecture there. It
was too much of a coincidence. The first time there's a language festival within a
reasonable distance from me, and it just happens to be to the day 7 weeks after I
started learning Dutch...

I think the selection of languages in Leuven is neat:
* Bulgarian
* Czech
* Chinese
* Esperanto
* Tagalog
* Flemish Sign Language
* German
* Greek
* Spanish
* Hungarian
* Irish Gaelic
* Japanese
* Kurdish
* Lingala
* Luba
* Polish
* Russian
* Sinhalese
* Swahili
* Swedish

Can't wait!

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5095 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 

Message 163 of 172
10 February 2011 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
It's so easy to just talk Dutch - went to a Dutch evening a few days ago and truly enjoyed myself just speaking the language

That's great! I think that's a far greater achievement than always getting all the grammar right.

Quote:
I don't mind if you come to my lecture, and I also won't blame you if you prefer to see Lingala, Thai or the like.

Awesome! I had a hard time deciding which presentations to go to besides yours but I eventually signed up for Swedish, Esperanto and Swahili. I'm so excited! It'll be my very first language festival!

Quote:
The Leuven Talenfestival will be awesome, and it's the perfect place for January Dutch Challenge people to practise their Dutch while being
language geeks! :-)

Perfect accept I think it's a bit too far away for many of them. It would be so cool if we could get everyone together in one place at the end of the challenge but I'm afraid it's impossible. :(

I’m still working on my answer to your question about alle vs. allemaal. It’s a tough one and I’ve thoroughly confused myself trying to figure it out and explain it so I’ll continue with it tomorrow, when I can look at it clearly again. ;-)

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 164 of 172
10 February 2011 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Thanks. Here's another question: what's the difference between "iedere" and "elke"? I
suspect it may be as "anyone" (in positive sentences) and "everyone"?

Posted another text to correct:
http://lang-8.com/25308/journals/804042/Mijne-talen-%2528eer ste-deel%2529

Edited by Sprachprofi on 10 February 2011 at 11:33pm

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5095 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 

Message 165 of 172
10 February 2011 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
I’m still working on my answer to your question about alle vs. allemaal. It’s a tough one and I’ve thoroughly confused myself trying to figure it out and explain it so I’ll continue with it tomorrow, when I can look at it clearly again. ;-)

Actually, I think I've been over-thinking this. (Wouldn't be the first time) I think the problem in your original sentence was that you were using "alle" to complement "ze". I turned "ze" into "die" but I still had to change "alle" because it can't belong to a pronoun while "allemaal" can. This is not all there is to know about these words but the rest is irrelevant to your post so it would have been way too confusing. (I gave myself a headache trying to figure it out. ;P)

As far as I know there is no difference whatsoever between "ieder" and "elk" and this article agrees with me, thought it mentions that some people insist on there being rules about when you have to use which. Notice that they use the word "gepoogd" as in no one actually listens to them. As far as I'm concerned you can heartily ignore these rules but they do mention some standard expressions that might be useful to know.

Edited by ReneeMona on 11 February 2011 at 5:39pm

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5320 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 166 of 172
15 February 2011 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Ik vind deze Assimil lessen zeker niet gemakkelijk. Ik heb uren nodig om ze door te komen.

I'm sure that must need correcting. (I'm finding these assimil lessons pretty difficult. It takes me hours to get through them.)

Part of my problem is that because my hearing skills are pretty weak I have to concentrate on that, so I actually begin the lesson as a dictation. I probably listen to it 5-6 times then write it all out. If I can't recognise the word, I just write it out as phonetically as I can interpret it. If I don't write it down, I always find there are bits that I missed or perhaps had only understood from context.

It might be a bit over the top, but I think the assimil notes say not to move onto the next lesson until you're quite comfortable that you understand everything, and even if I didn't write it out, I think it would be taking me well over an hour. As it is, I can often spend 2 or 3 hours on one lesson. Mind you, practically everything I do seems to take longer than other people.

How long does everyone else spend on the lessons?

Edited by schoenewaelder on 16 February 2011 at 3:48pm

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5457 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 167 of 172
16 February 2011 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
I have the same problem studying Assimil Arabic, it takes me time ...

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5095 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 

Message 168 of 172
21 February 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Aangezien de JDC officieel is afgelopen, heeft er iemand nog iets te zeggen ter afsluiting? Een evaluatie van resultaten en ervaringen misschien? Zijn er nog liefdes-/haatrelaties met het Nederlands ontstaan? Aan het begin van de thread werden er ideeën opgeworpen voor een gezamenlijk Skype gesprek. Is daar nog wat van terecht gekomen?

Ik hoop persoonlijk dat dit soort zes-weekse uitdagingen een regelmatig verschijnsel worden op het forum. Ik zou graag een keertje mee willen doen als gewone deelnemer, al is de alwetende leraar uithangen ook heel erg leuk. ;)

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version