Netherlands
Joined 5113 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 49 of 172
13 December 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
If you would like I will help because now it's only one person, Reneemona and about 14 participants

Haha, thanks, Kuikentje. I was watching the list grow with an increasingly desperate look in my eyes. ;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5113 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 51 of 172
13 December 2010 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry, Kuikentje. You Dutch seems good to me and from what I gather most of the people participating are beginners in the language so I think you'll be fine.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5764 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 53 of 172
13 December 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I'm surprised and pleased to see so many people joining in on this challenge. Some people have asked about time duration, and I think I'll be making it a proper "6 Week Challenge" going from January to mid-February. Everyone can choose whatever they like, of course.

With regard to conversations, I use skype to do video conversations with my parents in Canada, and I don't have to pay anything. The video is optional though, since I know of many people that use it for work meetings that are just voice conversations amongst multiple people. I have my video turned off by default, and I have to click a button to make it turn on.

As for methods, I'll probably really quickly zip through Dutch Assimil as fast as I can, just to get a taste for things, and then go straight to audiobooks and parallel texts. Probably Harry Potter followed by Stieg Larsson, but I'd love to find an audiobook for Ursula Le Guin's "Earthsea" series ("Aardzee" in Dutch). If I can get enough audio into my brain first, then I might just read Aardzee without audio. The first 4 audiobooks of Harry Potter are 52 hours altogether, and the Stieg Larsson audiobooks are about 7 hours each, so that's about 75 hours total, which I hope to be able to squeeze in over the first 3 weeks (although extreme motivation and time-management skills, combined with eating fast food might allow me to work through them sooner ;)

I'm starting completely from scratch, never having studied Dutch before, although I'm sure my German and Swedish knowledge will be of some assistance. Hopefully I can put in enough hard work to come close to Teango's amazing success with Swedish a few weeks ago ;)

After spending a few weeks doing nothing but silent input, I'll probably start trying to write some things using Lang-8 so that I can perhaps activate some of that knowledge. I'll combine that with some speaking out loud to myself, and some made-up conversations, and then move on to some skype practice if I can find some victi^H^H^H^H^Hpartners to speak with.

Good luck all! I'm really looking forward to January :)

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5644 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 54 of 172
13 December 2010 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
and then go straight to audiobooks and parallel texts. Probably Harry Potter followed by Stieg Larsson, but I'd love to find an audiobook for Ursula Le Guin's "Earthsea" series ("Aardzee" in Dutch). If I can get enough audio into my brain first, then I might just read Aardzee without audio. The first 4 audiobooks of Harry Potter are 52 hours altogether, and the Stieg Larsson audiobooks are about 7 hours each

Do you already have these? If so, are the audio and text parallel? I'd be very interested in finding unabridged audio which exactly follows books like that. In fact, we probably should have a separate multi-language thread listing "exactly parallel" audiobook/book combinations.

LangOfChildren
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5205 days ago

82 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Swedish
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai, Russian

Message 55 of 172
13 December 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Earthsea (Erdsee in German) is one of my favourite books of all time. It would be awesome to listen to it in Dutch.

I'm currently not sure whether I'm going to participate, because I'm really busy, but if someone could point me to the Harry Potter Audiobooks in Dutch, I would probably join you guys. I still think L-R is the most powerful method for me until I find something better, it was invaluable for me learning Swedish.

So, you can enter me as a "maybe", and if someone can show me where to get audio then I'm in.

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5182 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 56 of 172
14 December 2010 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Hey, Sprachprofi, no offense.. on the contrary!! But, whatever you say, you're not that all a beginner in dutch!! :D

Now, as I asked before, could someone write down what the achievements should be... Like writing a log (do we have to write our own log page? What kind of essays as mentionned above? how about corrections? It seems we need another native speaker around here !! too much for a lonesome speaker :D ))

Unfortunately, I cant use Skype here !!

Keep in touch...

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version