Joined 5647 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 57 of 172
14 December 2010 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
polyglossia wrote:
Here you are :
http://www.instantdownloads.net/search.php?w=audiobook+harry +potter+nederlandsx=1

I was looking for parallel audiobooks/books that I could buy from a legitimate bookstore.

1 person has voted this message useful

LangOfChildren
Tetraglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5208 days ago

82 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Swedish
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai, Russian

Message 58 of 172
14 December 2010 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
polyglossia wrote:
Here you are :
http://www.instantdownloads.net/search.php?w=audiobook+harry +potter+nederlandsx=1

That site requires paid registration.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5647 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 59 of 172
14 December 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
LangOfChildren wrote:
polyglossia wrote:
Here you are :

That site requires paid registration.

Yes. If I understood the set-up, there was a one-time fee for unlimited peer-to-peer transfers. That is not my idea of a legitimate bookstore.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5767 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 60 of 172
14 December 2010 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
polyglossia wrote:
Here you are :

I was looking for parallel audiobooks/books that I could buy from a legitimate bookstore.

You can't really buy parallel texts anywhere, but you can buy the ebooks and convert them yourself. I use some software called "hunalign" to parallelize them.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5647 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 61 of 172
14 December 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:
You can't really buy parallel texts anywhere, but you can buy the ebooks and convert them yourself. I use some software called "hunalign" to parallelize them.

I don't mean to detract from the main intent of this thread, but I do think that this discussion is very important to Dutch learners (and other language learners).

I think parallel texts can be very useful for new learners. But I agree that they can be hard to find. I find them to be very slow to use, and boredom often sets in.

However, I think parallel audio and text is invaluable and well worth pursuing. But they have to be "very parallel" which is often not the case with abridged audio versions of printed books. But there are many references to parallel audio and text books here on HTLAL. But there are very few details as to which books and which versions. Some are abridged and some are not. I was hoping that those who know about exactly-parallel audio and text books could post the details. It would be very useful. People don't want to spend a lot of money on a book and its audio version only to find they are not parallel. For example, I hear a lot about Harry Potter books and their audio versions, but I have never seen anyone post a title and state that the audio is unabridged.

So, do people know about exactly-parallel audio/text popular books?

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5341 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 62 of 172
14 December 2010 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Well, I've made arrangements with Sinta for some appropriate materials to be delivered, but I don't expect to be beyond A1 grunting in six weeks (despite the fact that I will even be cheating, and probably starting before Christmas) so I will be in the category of onlookers seeking inspiration, motivation, exposure, and techniques.

I can see that German (edit: and English) will be a big help to passive understanding (I browsed through TY Dutch) but I think it could almost be a handicap to active use. I forsee lots of confusion.

edit:my very first Dutch word, and I made an error. Not a good omen. It should be "Sinter".

I'll try something more ambitious. Ik wil nederlands taalen.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 15 December 2010 at 6:44pm

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5477 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 63 of 172
14 December 2010 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

Participants:
1. Sprachprofi
2. amuzulo
3. doviende
4. Noriyuki_nomura
5. Vini
6. ellasevia
7. Omenapuu00
8. rad
9. --Romanist-- (no longer in)
10. b.reeze
11. J.S.
12. Hakan D
13. polyglossia
14. egill (just added)

Might participate:
Volte

Dutch help:
ReneeMona

I've added myself to the list. I hope that's alright. I look forward to practicing with
you all.

Ik heb mezelf toegevoegd aan de lijst. Ik hoop dat dat OK is. Ik wil graag met jullie
oefenen.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5767 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 64 of 172
15 December 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
The Harry Potter audiobooks are never abridged, because I remember hearing that JK Rowling wanted many audio versions available in the different languages in unabridged format, because it would help kids learn to read by following along. I've listened to them in several languages now, and they always exactly follow the text.

Honestly, I rarely find abridged audiobooks. Almost every single thing I've bought has been the full version.

EDIT: As if the universe decided to prove me wrong, I just noticed that the Stieg Larsson Dutch audiobooks are abridged. They're only 7 hours, when they should be about double that. I just played one to confirm, and it skips over several details in the book, but I can still follow it somewhat. It just takes a bit more effort than it should. Oh well. It'll probably still be educational for me once I finish my other Dutch books.

EDIT #2: I just now noticed that my LOTR audiobook doesn't match the translation I have either. This is getting really annoying.

Edited by doviende on 18 December 2010 at 1:51pm

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version