Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4931 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 9 of 14
01 December 2010 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
I learn using grammars, flash cards and LingQ. But, the main technique of my study is
speak the laguage when you can. At computer I read in English, and with friends and
teachers I can speak. And listening is needed, it might became easier with a MP4, but I
use the computer because a brazilian proverb: "Who doesn´t have a dog uses a cat to
hunting."
And I´m getting. Living and learning.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5551 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 10 of 14
01 December 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Something I recently realized is that for me, the method doesn't make that much of a difference. Be it immersion, fake immersion/massive semi-comprehensible input, audio-lingual method, grammar-translation, communicative teaching, whatever else - I did learn with any of those methods, and never as fast as I would have liked to. It does however go a bit faster when I combine different approaches to supplement each other, and when I tweak exercises/activities to suit my needs. (For example I recently found out that I do much better and actually gain something from cloze deletion exercises when I copy the entire sentence by hand - little things like that.)
But more important is to be realistic about what I expect of myself, and to critically watch my own progress or non-progress.
1 person has voted this message useful

LLF
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5365 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 14
02 December 2010 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:

Reading a lot makes you good at reading.
Listening a lot makes you good at listening.
Writing a lot makes you good at writing.
Speaking a lot makes you good at speaking.

They do have some influence on each other, of course, but overall, if you want to
become good at all four skills you have to do a lot of all four things.

Whereas that's certainly true, I'd say that reading is an essential basis for listening; the reading provides the vocabulary that you need for listening. I find that size of vocab. is far less relevant to speaking or writing though; it's possible to speak fluently (in the flowing-ly sense) with a rather restricted vocab, and it's entirely possible to write well with a restricted vocab, as that does not take place in real-time, so you can refer to a dictionary as needed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6460 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 12 of 14
02 December 2010 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 

1-Understand a sentence.
2-Repeat that sentence.
3-Repeat 1 and 2 with other sentence.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5166 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 13 of 14
02 December 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Here are my general thoughts on what I do, in no particular order. I don't have a specific method per se, but I realize that I do certain things that seem to work. Some will say that what works for one person may not work for another, but I tend to disagree: what people LIKE to do might vary, but for the most part, what works probably doesn't.

1. Understand what you are aiming for and keep that goal in mind.

Personally, I want to communicate with native speakers in their language and I want to understand how they think and how they feel. If I can do that orally, then it follows that I can do it in writing, so I always concentrate on oral. Learning a language is a long-term effort and remaining motivated is not always easy, so create objectives and stick to them.

2. Create new habits.

I always concentrate on the actual, real language spoken naturally by natives. I take what I hear (or read) and I try to integrate it into my own thinking patterns -- I repeat it as if I were in that situation, as if I were a native speaker. By doing this, I create the instantaneous linguistic habits that are essential to becoming fluent.

3. Be a native speaker.

I try to imitate natives and I imagine that I'm one of them. If you're not comfortable doing that, I suggest you sort out that issue before you do anything else: you can't learn to speak a language fluently if the thought of being mistaken for a native speaker of that language is inconceivable to you.

4. Put yourself in real language situations or create them in your mind.

We learn better speaking with native speakers in real life situations, but since such opportunities are not available very often, we need to fake it. If I can't use the language with another person in a real context, I try to feel it as if I were having that experience. I imagine myself there, I imagine the reaction, the response, etc. Watching TV is a great way to see the world through a native speaker's eyes and to imagine yourself living in the country.

5. Think in the language.

Spend as much time as possible thinking in that language, talking to yourself or to imaginary friends about your life and your current experiences. Plan your social interactions in the language and imagine what you would say. Any shortcomings will immediately appear obvious. Once you know what you need and what you are lacking, it's easy to work on fixing them.

6. Be patient and have fun.

Learning a language takes time; be patient. We all make mistakes and we all end up making fools of ourselves; laugh it off. Forget pride and enjoy yourself: you'll learn better.
6 persons have voted this message useful

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5370 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 14 of 14
09 December 2010 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
I agree with everything the poster above me just stated. In particular number 3, seeing
as a over the top Austen Powers British accent would eventually give you a British
accent, after having toned it down a bit.

Try imitating natives, mimicking and interrupting them as they speak, just a word or
phrase while aiming for flawless pronunciation. Sometimes they are annoyed, other
times, specially when drunk they will compliment you. Of course you don't know what
this word means but that's not the point. Basically be a baby.
For longer sentences simply mouthing them works well, and no one will notice.
I also agree with how talking to yourself truly helps. In your head or our loud. Works
best if you do it constantly. It it's more of a compulsive behavior on your part that
you can't help. Of course you must also think in the language, while making p intricate
soap opera like daydreams. Works best if you have a lot of time by yourself.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version