Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5184 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 4
30 November 2010 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
A friend of mine is writing a short grammar of our Slovak dialect here and asked me if I could find him some literature about how to write a grammar book. Could anyone recommend something on the subject or should I just tell my friend to figure it himself by comparing other grammars or find someone who already wrote a grammar book? :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

RealJames
Diglot
Japan
realizeenglish.com/
Joined 4905 days ago

37 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: French, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 2 of 4
30 November 2010 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Honestly if he just followed a template he'd be offering nothing new to the table.

I'd say write it himself his own way, then before publishing compare to other stuff.

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5184 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 3 of 4
30 November 2010 at 5:03am | IP Logged 
Well can then someone offer a good template?

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5228 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 4 of 4
30 November 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
A week or two ago, this thread mentioned a write-up on how to put together or adapt an FSI course:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=23711&PN=1

It lays out some excellent things to keep in mind when writing a course. There are sections expressly on writing or updating courses with some fantastic criteria for making sure you're focused on things that are useful and understandable.

FSI isn't my favorite, but it's readily accessible and since it's a creation of the U.S. government, I don't think you're likely to run into copyright issues by following its style. If your friend is really unclear on how to proceed, one approach would be to take the FSI Czech course as a model, while using the criteria about usefulness and understandability to decide where to follow it and where to either expand upon or tighten up the points it covers. You can download the course for free here:

http://www.fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php

Good luck to your friend!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version