Tags: Slang | Norwegian | English
 Language Learning Forum : Skandinavisk & Nordisk Post Reply
hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 1 of 4
30 November 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
So, I've been sort of concentrating on watching Norwegian movies lately. Most of what I've watched so far is drama, fairly easy to follow. A couple days ago, I got my hands on a (quirky, in my opinion) comedy. It's my first full length comedy that I've seen in the language.

I watched it twice, the first time with no subtitles and the second with Norwegian subtitles. To my surprise, Norwegian was one of the options available for the subtitles. The reason I wanted to see the subtitles was because of the seemingly gratuitous amount of English swearing and other expressions. I wanted to see how they were handled in the subtitling.

Anyway, I was amused at the phrase "ikke føkk opp" actually being spelled as such. After a quick Google of the phrase, it appears common, at least with the younger generation. And not nearly as vulgar in Norwegian as it is in English.

So my question: is this common with the generation represented in the film?

R.
==

1 person has voted this message useful

davidwelsh
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 5338 days ago

141 posts - 307 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, Norwegian, Esperanto, Swedish, Danish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Tibetan, Pali, Mandarin

Message 2 of 4
01 December 2010 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, lots of young people particularly use lots of English slag. "Føkke opp" is quite common, as is "føkk deg". Some expressions are more common than others, and not all are used only or mainly by young people. "Keen" for "ivrig", "joine" for "bli med" and especially "sorry" for "unnskyld" are fairly common. "Adde" is very widely used for "legge til", but is used exclusively in the context of Facebook!

Apart from slang, English words are widely used when discussing technical subjects, business, IT etc. Språkrådet has a list of English words that are in common usage in Norwegian, with suggestions for Norwegian alternatives.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
02 December 2010 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
It's the same thing in Swedish, I hear words like 'sorry', 'yes', 'busy', 'alright', 'adda', 'deleta' (-a is the typical verb ending) every day.

"Aldrig f**ka upp" is the title of a Swedish crime novel. (asterisks added by the forum... I'm sure you can figure out what it's supposed to say).

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 02 December 2010 at 12:10am

Impiegato
Triglot
Sweden
bsntranslation.
Joined 5242 days ago

100 posts - 145 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, Italian
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian

Message 4 of 4
02 December 2010 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
It's the same thing in Swedish, I hear words like 'sorry', 'yes', 'busy', 'alright', 'adda', 'deleta' (-a is the typical verb ending) every day.

"Aldrig f**ka upp" is the title of a Swedish crime novel. (asterisks added by the forum... I'm sure you can figure out what it's supposed to say).

There are more verbs like those you mentioned:
'messa' - to send an SMS
'internetta' - surf the web/internet (maybe local slang)

Edited by Impiegato on 02 December 2010 at 11:59am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version