Triglot
United States
Joined 5233 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 1 of 10
01 December 2010 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Are there anyone here who's studying a lesser known foreign language here in college classes? Apparently, according to what I hear about the language program in my school, if I request a language, they would try to find a teacher for me to get started with it. I was thinking about doing that with Lithuanian, but I don't think there even are any Lithuanians in my school, so I'm wondering how they're going to do that.

Anyways, is anyone in a college/university in which they offer those less studied languages?

Edited by chucknorrisman on 01 December 2010 at 4:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5280 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 2 of 10
01 December 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
It really depends how much effort/money your school would invest in finding a teacher.
If a speaker of Lithuanian could be found in your community, who was also a suitable
teacher and looking for that sort of job, then I'm sure it would work out. If there
wasn't one available, then perhaps the school would offer a some sort of term contract
to bring in a Lithuanian instructor. I find it unlikely that a university would offer
such a programme for just one student, but at the same time, very lucky for you!!

Another option you could consider would be to spend a semester in Lithuania, or to take
a distance course online from another university.

Edit: Added second paragraph.

Edited by canada38 on 01 December 2010 at 5:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 3 of 10
01 December 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
My university doesn't even have some of the bigger languages (i.e. Russian, Italian), so they'll never have any of the smaller ones.

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5256 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 4 of 10
01 December 2010 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
My university offers a lot of different languages not commonly taught in the U.S.
school system. Of those, I've taken Vietnamese and Yiddish, and I'll audit a Polish
class next semester. The school also offers courses in:

-Catalan
-Telugu
-Norwegian
-Turkish
-Ancient Egyptian
-Akkadian
-Persian
-Indonesian
-Hindi
-Swahili
-Hungarian
-Romanian
-Danish
-Tagalog
-Wolof
-Armenian
-Tamil
-Welsh
-Czech
-Sanskrit
-Thai
-Finnish
-Swedish
-Zulu
-Khmer
-Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian
-Sumerian
-Urdu
-Korean
-Irish
-Aramaic

This is in addition to the languages more commonly taught at university. No Lithuanian,
though. I've met people who've taken Old Norse here, but I don't know if it's still
offered. We offered Nahuatl here until very recently when the instructor retired, and
our Tibetan instructor was let go so we no longer have a program in that language
either. The university also offers student-led courses in Cantonese and Taiwanese, and
I've encountered one in Mongolian, but I don't think it's offered anymore.

The list above is formidable, but many of these languages are offered on a rotating
basis: beginning one year, intermediate the next, advanced the third, and then the
cycle begins again. And most of them are offered in a two-semester sequence that begins
in fall, so spring admits have to wait a semester to begin their study of the language
in these classes. As well, language courses and programs are invariably the first to
suffer cuts during budget crises, like the one my state is now in, and even the more
common languages are not exempt: my university no longer offers Spanish 1 anymore, for
instance. The beginning Spanish course comprises the first two semesters of the
language.

I doubt I'd be able to request the introduction of a new language program; my
university's too big and money's too tight (in the humanities, at least) for such
flexibility. But classes in less commonly learned languages like the ones listed above
are often smaller so there's more one-on-one time with the instructor (unless it's a
heritage language of a large number of students, like Hindi or Vietnamese, both of
which are usually packed), and you get to know your classmates well. Many of the
instructors are also open to auditors--people who sit in on the class but don't take it
for credit--because their class sizes are so small.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6800 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 10
03 December 2010 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
@thephantomgoat: Perhaps I missed it elsewhere, but which university are you referring to?

ilcommunication
Diglot
United States
Joined 6477 days ago

115 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 10
04 December 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Like thephantomgoat said, cuts in public education are hitting language departments hard, at least here in the US. As an example, SUNY Albany just announced that it's going to do away with French, Italian and Russian.

Regardless, at my own school I used the opportunity to take Mandarin, Hindi and Russian (and Swedish during study abroad), which will give me a good foundation for future study both independently and also through classes. It's difficult to study more than one language seriously at the university level, since most students have to put a lot of time into other concentrations, but it is still a great idea to get instruction in languages you probably wouldn't be able to find as readily elsewhere. Also, if you can do study abroad, that's definitely best for language learning.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6335 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 7 of 10
04 December 2010 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
ilcommunication wrote:
at my own school I used the opportunity to take Mandarin, Hindi and Russian (and
Swedish during study abroad), which will give me a good foundation for future study both independently and also
through classes.

You are an inspiration. Someone in a largely monolingual country who not only studied several languages in school,
but understands how school study fits into the bigger picture of becoming proficient in a language. I wish I had
started out like this. I salute you. (btw - any relation to L'il Miss Information?)

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5256 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 8 of 10
04 December 2010 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
@patuco: It's at UC Berkeley. It's a great place to be, but cuts to public education are
definitely taking their toll.

@ilcommunication: Dr. Gregory Petsko, a professor and biochemist at Brandeis University,
wrote a letter to the president of SUNY Albany about the cuts to their language programs.
It's a great piece. You can find it here: http://genomebiology.com/content/pdf/gb-2010-
11-10-138.pdf

Edited by thephantomgoat on 04 December 2010 at 6:51am

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version