Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Equal amount of grammar in all languages?

Tags: Difficulty | Grammar
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5604 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 25 of 41
03 December 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
Préposition wrote:
I was listening to a lecture given by Nina Garett on the topic of
second language acquisition, and the lecturer mentionned that "every language has the
same amount of grammar, only in different ways.".....Would you agree or disagree with
the above statement? What's your opinion?

I suspect the right answer, in theory, is that languages do not have the same amount of
grammar. But in practice, that would be difficult to prove, as we have to list down
every grammar rule for languages under comparison, and give weights to these rules.

Arekkusu wrote:
In principle, all languages allow a person to express virtually all
concepts of number, time, aspect, etc. Therefore, each language has a predetermined way
to express each of those, and this is essentially what constitutes its grammar. Because
we know that children all learn their language is more or less the same amount of time,
they must present an equal level of difficulty. That, at least, is the linguistic
tenet.

It's possible that certain languages with a longer written history have been able to
maintain more irregularity than other languages, I'm not sure. Some may have maintained
more irregularity in more common elements, others may display more irregularity in less
common language. It's also possible that certain languages may indeed have less
irregularity in grammar, but more complexity in its phonological structures and that
this information occupies the same mental space. But grammar is not only verb
conjugation, plural and gender.

Expressiveness of a language in meaning is not part of grammar, but of its semantics,
since the rules in language A that would allow it to express an identical concept in
three words what language B has as a single word can all be present as well in language
B. Phonotactics, phonological alternation and prosody does not count as grammar either.
Morpheme irregularity is a gray area since in certain cases, it does not affect
combination rule (Example: even if French has 6 forms for être in the present
indicative, I don't think is has 2x more grammar rules against English which has 3
forms for to be in that usage.)

For me, grammar encompass only the set of rules on composing morphemes into words,
phrases and sentences, much like building blocks (words, phrases, sentences) out of
lego bricks (morphemes). The rules of building those blocks would depend on these (add
what others you can think of):
1. The number of individual bricks.
2. Constraints on which bricks can be contiguous.
3. Constraints on how many bricks can go together as a group.
4. Constraints on how bricks can be ordered.
5. Constraints on when blocks of bricks can be used.

Cainntear wrote:
A language with an apparently complex grammar has a lot more
freedom, because where there aren't any inflections for the words, devices have to be
built into the sentence structure and the function words to encode the missing
information.

EG. English has almost no noun declension. This means that we need to use prepositions
for what Latin would use declension for. But English prepositions are notoriously
fuzzy. How many times does someone in an English class say "is it 'in', 'on' or 'at'"
for a given phrase? That's a grammar problem.

For me this is a counter-intuitive analysis. If a language has more rules (more
complex), then you have less freedom to combine those building blocks. The less rules a
language has, the more freedom you have. What you call "devices built into the sentence
structures" are also grammar rules in themselves. If language A uses an affix and
language B uses a function word, the count of their morphemes are the same, so on one
level, they would have the same number of rules. But since Latin affixes have less
restrictions (rules) than English function words, then English has more rules, more
complex grammar, less flexible.

Arekkusu wrote:

If your language can't express, say conditional, then you will inevitably need to
resort to more intricate sentence building -- or story telling altogether -- to render
the same nuanced message.

It doesn't mean that if you use more words, you have more grammar rules. The concept
might be intricate, but the rules to connect those are the same rules to connect words
with simple meanings. The number of grammar rules does not expand with the increase in
intricacy of meaning.

Gusutafu wrote:
I would guess that this your teacher suffers from an acute form of
political correctness. Beware, because it is contagious. Normal linguists, who are less
severely affected, like to pretend that they think that "all languages have the same
expressive power" (which is complete bunk of course) or the softer version: "all
languages can adequately fill the needs of the communities that use them", which is
still rubbish, but more subtly so.

The truth is that there is of course no reason at all (apart from wishful thinking) why
a language developed on a South Sea island in a community of coconut farmers, should
happen to have the same "expressive power", in aggregate, as some Esquimaux tongue off
Greenland. That would be an incredible coincidence.

The strongest argument, as if an argument were needed, is that languages develop over
time, through usage new forms, words, idioms and expressions arise. A language with a
billion literate speakers will have greater scope for this creativity than a tiny
language spoken by analphabetics, especially in these days of instant global
communication.

I don't actually think than anyone honestly believes that a tiny island language can
even compare to the incredible richness of English, French, Russian or Chinese. Let's
face it, a language is never more sophisticated than its most sophisticated users, and
a large group with many rich, educated or pretentious people will produce more literary
genius than a small group of poor peasants.

This is a different idea altogether, and I think really faulty. You are confusing
between an inherent property of language with a historically derived feature of a
language. For a language to be expressive in any topic, it just have to have the needed
vocabulary, and all languages are capable of vocabulary expansion. Look at your beloved
examples, like English. Apparently, following your logic, it is possible to discuss
nuclear physics in English but not in Tongan. But what only needs to be done for Tongan
to be expressive is either (a) borrow those English words so they become Tongan words,
or (b) coin new Tongan words out of existing words or completely new words, then it
becomes expressive. I think you should start investigating the etymology of English
words so you can rid yourself of cultural snobbery.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 03 December 2010 at 1:53pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5307 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 26 of 41
03 December 2010 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

The most demonstrably "simple" languages are creoles -- like the earlier example of Tok Pisin.

The reason for this is that creoles have their roots in pidgins.
[...]
English [has seen] the influence of multiple generations of non-native incomers that should theoretically have reduced the modal content of a language.

Is this a competition in Madmans Syllogisms? If so, you win. Your argument is basically:

*Creoles are the simplest languages

*Creoles are made up of different languages

*English has been influenced by foreign languages

*English is a simple language

This is one of the most insane things I've ever seen in these forums. Since you even state yourself the reason why Creoles are simple, viz. they only serve the limited purpose of getting things done, you refute your own proof. Or would you seriously characterise English as a language that only serves a banal, pragmatic purpose? Be serious.

Cainntear wrote:

Consider Japanese -- they spent hundreds of years with closed borders, and their language is well renowned for the complex system of honorifics.

It is true that Japan was closed to Western trade for a time, but I'm sure you know that Japan has had very intense cultural exchanges going on with China and Korea (and by extension, India and beyond). Not that this makes any difference, my argument is not that openness or exchange makes languages sophisticated. My point was rather that if millions of literate and ambitious people communicate in a language, write books, songs and poetry in it, it will tend to become more sophisticated than a language with fewer, poorer, more pragmatic speakers.

Cainntear wrote:
So those "little island languages" are nothing to be disparaged. It's us who speak impoverished, unexpressive languages. The existence of a few good books can't change that.

I haven't disparaged them, I'm just saying that they are less sophisticated than for example European languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5455 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 27 of 41
03 December 2010 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
The number of possible sentences is infinite in all languages.

All languages are born infinite, but some are more infinite than others ;-)
5 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 28 of 41
03 December 2010 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
We are making a lot of assumptions about the simplicity or complexity of certain languages we know little about. Who here speaks both Inuktitut AND Tok Pisin? Moreover, we agree that we have no true method of measuring grammatical complexity, so we are arguing about hunches, beliefs and impressions.

I think everyone agrees that on the face of it, polysynthetic languages like Inuktitut or Cree appear to show more complexity than creole or pidgin languages, or perhaps even monosyllabic languages like Mandarin. However, some people contend that deeper analysis should reveal that seeming complexity underlies simplicity in other areas and that conversely, simplicity implies complexity in other areas.

Let’s play devil’s advocate and suppose that languages that appear simple or complex actually do have simpler and more complex grammars.

Pidgins and creoles arise from complex intercultural contexts, where trade and exchanges abound, whereas a polysythetic language like Inuktitut is the language of relatively few people scattered over a large territory, leading a relatively simple lifestyle with little (up until recently, at least) intercultural interaction. Are we not forced to conclude that grammatical complexity is NOT linked to the complexity of its social or cultural context? Claiming that English is more grammatically complex than Tok Pisin because English is used by an evolved society is incoherent. Yes, languages that are used on different continents and across various cultures may very well present more variety and richness (eg. English, French, Spanish, etc.), but that’s not necessarily reflected in the grammar. If anything, influence from other languages and a strong influx of second language speakers should tend to simplify the grammar. If those speakers use less grammar, and if they do influence the language somehow, then it can’t possibly make the grammar more complex.

So, does English have a simpler grammar than Cherokee or Cree? Is Tok Pisin grammatically simpler than Japanese? If one is to make such claims, then it follows that complexity is NOT linked to the complexity of the social or cultural context the languages are used in.

So IF some languages indeed have more complex grammar, it doesn’t have anything to do with the level of education or evolution of the societies that use them.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5797 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 29 of 41
03 December 2010 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
Is this a competition in Madmans Syllogisms? If so, you win. Your argument is basically:

This is one of the most insane things I've ever seen in these forums. Since you even state yourself the reason why Creoles are simple, viz. they only serve the limited purpose of getting things done, you refute your own proof. Or would you seriously characterise English as a language that only serves a banal, pragmatic purpose? Be serious.

I was defining a spectrum, not a dichotomy.

At the simplest end you have pidgins (not creoles), then creoles. I was not suggesting that Japanese was a truly isolated language, but that it was more isolated than English or French.

Quote:
My point was rather that if millions of literate and ambitious people communicate in a language, write books, songs and poetry in it, it will tend to become more sophisticated than a language with fewer, poorer, more pragmatic speakers.

But you are also making the assumption that poor people are "more pragmatic", which isn't the case. Creativity is not a luxury that is afforded only to the rich.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lucas
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 4953 days ago

85 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, German, Italian, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 30 of 41
03 December 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Grammar is the study of the constitutive elements of a language (Grevisse).
But when you learn a language (especially indoeuropean languages), you are focused on
morphology (and syntax), then you consider grammar as "morpho-syntax" and forget that
all the rest is part of the grammar too!
The syntax is never hard in itself, it's only the difference between the syntax of your
language that makes it hard...so a lot of people think "morphology" when you're
speaking about grammar.
That's why a lot of people say that "chinese grammar is easy" or "russian grammar is
hard"...

In conlusion I'd say that of course "every language has the same amount of grammar,
only in different ways", it was obvious for me, but...
only if you consider that grammar is everything you have to know about a language, and
not only morphology!
:)

3 persons have voted this message useful

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5058 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 31 of 41
03 December 2010 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Gusutafu wrote:

I was defining a spectrum, not a dichotomy.

At the simplest end you have pidgins (not creoles), then creoles. I was not suggesting that Japanese was a truly isolated language, but that it was more isolated than English or French.

Was it really China, Japan etc that was Isolated or was it Europe. China was basically in the year 3000 when everyone else was in the Dark Ages.

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6336 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 32 of 41
04 December 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:
This is one of the most insane things I've ever seen in these forums

You have an interesting definition of insane. But I found what he said much more sane than
Gusutafu wrote:
they are less sophisticated than for example European languages.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version