speedmathematics.com
Joined 6956 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 9 of 15
05 December 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Faraday wrote:
There are more productive uses of one's time than to go over a course more than twice, at least consecutively. After
the first or second pass of Assimil, it's time to expose oneself broadly to the new language. Revisiting Assimil in a
context of such exposure will help solidify the material.

With language, in a very real sense, quantity is quality at times.

I agree. Read books and watch movies in your target language. Read newspapers on the net. Visit websites in the language. Read other textbooks. Speak to people in the language every chance you get.

Read Assimil lessons while you are doing this and you will find you will get more from Assimil's explanations as you actually use the language.

Don't make it hard work.
1 person has voted this message useful

stmc2
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6061 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 10 of 15
05 December 2010 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
I agree with what you say but I still find that I need to get the vocab and grammar more solidly moulded in my mind. I have attempted to go through DW news etc and have felt so lost that I needed to go back to the book.

I confidently feel that after I have been through this note taking and sentaence creation phase, the Assimil book will become the perfect reference book to start exploring native material. Only a couple of weeks to go I think.

i will start another thread asking for advice on decent German TV dramas or films.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 15
05 December 2010 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Lucas wrote:
I'm on my fifth wave on "le chinois sans peine" and I still can't translate properly most of the phrases because of the chinese syntax, wich is very far from the indoeuropean syntax!

Same here. Maybe I haven't had the right focus at the time, maybe Chinese isn't the language for me (God forbid), maybe the method doesn't work for me - for Chinese.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 15
05 December 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Lucas wrote:
I'm on my fifth wave on "le chinois sans peine" and I still can't translate properly most of the phrases because of the chinese syntax, wich is very far from the indoeuropean syntax!

Same here. Maybe I haven't had the right focus at the time, maybe Chinese isn't the language for me (God forbid), maybe the method doesn't work for me - for Chinese.

I find Chinese With Ease difficult even before the active wave. I have to listen to lessons dozens of times and still sometimes have trouble. I still think the course is good, it's just that Chinese is inherently difficult.

Edited by newyorkeric on 05 December 2010 at 3:04pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 15
05 December 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
That, I agree with - Chinese is one of the most difficult things (if not the most difficult) I've studied so far.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 07 December 2010 at 12:22am

stmc2
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6061 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 14 of 15
06 December 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I have a big interest in Chinese and may invest in the first volume next year. I have got myself to a decent level of Japanese, so i know that such a difficult language is possible. I think that Chinese would be more difficult than japanese though in some respects. This being the infamous tones and prounciation.

Lucas
Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
Joined 4977 days ago

85 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, German, Italian, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 15
07 December 2010 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
stmc2 wrote:
I have a big interest in Chinese and may invest in the first volume next
year. I have got myself to a decent level of Japanese, so i know that such a difficult
language is possible. I think that Chinese would be more difficult than japanese though
in some respects. This being the infamous tones and prounciation.

I'm afraid chinese is going to be harder for you than for us, and not only because of the
tone and prononciation: you'll have to forget all the kanji you've learned and learn the
hanzi prononciation!
Good luck then!
:)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version