Diglot
Germany
Joined 5117 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 49 of 67
21 August 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
What I would really like for a kindle would be the ability to put texts up in parallel. And, of course, better foreign language dictionaries.

BTW, since the native Kindle format is based on the MobiPocket format, most
MobiPocket dictionaries will work as lookup dictionaries. However, Russian, Arabic and Hebrew dictionaries cannot be used as lookup dictionaries because of firmware limitations.
It's also relatively easy to create or convert your own dictionaries with the free Mobipocket Creator software.
2 persons have voted this message useful

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5344 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 50 of 67
22 August 2011 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
slymie wrote:
I'm starting to get it now...

The kindle is better for reading, as its easy on the eyes...

but the ipad has the ability to install software such as anki and dictionaries.

Although the browser on the Kindle is "experimental" at the moment, I have used it for anki online and online dictionaries

Jim
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6176 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 67
22 August 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
I recently got an iPad2. For Chinese learners, I think Pleco is enough of a reason to buy one. Ok, not exactly, but pretty close to true. It's so easy to make flashcards in Pleco, the handwriting recognition is great, and you can read documents in it with a pop-up dictionary. It's totally changed how and what I study.

Edited by newyorkeric on 22 August 2011 at 12:49pm

Ygangerg
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5115 days ago

100 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French
Studies: German

Message 52 of 67
31 August 2011 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
I have a Nook, made by Barnes and Noble. Same screen size as the small Kindle, but all touch-screen. It takes epub files, which are of the same file time as books on an iPad.

I have an Arabic reader on it. I believe you can use any type of script you want, if you convert it from a pdf.

My favorite part is the side-by-side text. I have a copy of "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allen Poe in English and French. You can read the English page, click the screen, and boom, you're looking at the same page in French. Not sure how many texts are available like this...

Dr. POW
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4762 days ago

48 posts - 58 votes 
Studies: German, English*
Studies: French

Message 53 of 67
31 August 2011 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
I think something that fits in your pocket is really neat, but I can imagine that using a
dictionary would be a hassle. Take the dictionary on wordreference.com as an example. A
single word could have several different meanings, and the results take up a lot of
space. Having a tiny screen would make using something like that really cumbersome work.

I know that having about 8 results for 1 word isn't normally the case, nor would one ever
actually need so many results, but I'd like to get a translation without having to scroll
down a page 5 times longer than my device's screen, or shrink the screen to the point
where I can't read the writing anymore, and I don't know if the latter is possible on
most devices.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5663 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 54 of 67
31 August 2011 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Dr. POW wrote:
I think something that fits in your pocket is really neat, but I can imagine that using a dictionary would be a hassle. ... Having a tiny screen would make using something like that really cumbersome work.

I have been using the Sony Reader 650 for about a year and I think the dictionary look-up is very good. It provides a pop-up word list which can be expanded if required. Excellent bilingual dictionaries for English <> German, French, Italian, Spanish and Dutch.

I find that the best way to manage the Reader via my computer is to use the free Calibre software rather than the Sony software.

dleewo
Groupie
United States
Joined 5615 days ago

95 posts - 131 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 55 of 67
31 August 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
I didn't see this app mentioned, but I recently bought iReader4Study for my iPad:

iReader4Study

It will read a ton of eBook formats including ePub and mobi (both must be DRM-free), PDF, pdb, prc, html, txt files, Word documents

It includes a bunch of dictionaries and you can simply select a word and get the translation in a popup.

I've been looking for an app like this for a while and perhaps it'll be useful for others on this forum.

Derek

PS: BTW, the author has various apps in the app store that are all variations on this. For example, there is a specific German ebook reader. I think the only difference is the number and variety of dictionaries that are all included. He even has a browser that you use for browsing the web and getting word translations.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Emerald
Triglot
United Kingdom
languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6042 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 56 of 67
31 August 2011 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Comparison between iPad and Kindle isn't really the right way to go, because they are
products for different purposes.

iPad is essentially a tablet PC, so if you have a laptop, netbook etc. it's no
different to having an iPad.

Kindle is to read books, but it also enables you to listen to audio, as well as high-
light books and add notes.

For language learning on the go, I absolutely favour Kindle. If you are reading, iPad
has the same problem all the other computers have, backlight is not easy on the eyes. I
hate reading on computers for that very reason. Kindle's technology means it is like
reading on paper. (I love actual paperbooks by the way, but Kindle's flexibility can't
be denied). You can also transfer your audio lessons / audio books on Kindle for having
everything in one place, though I haven't done that, because I like my mp4 player. But
I have transferred my Spanish e-books onto Kindle, and it makes life much easier.

In terms of ease of usage and flexibility, as well as the simple matter of the price
difference between the two, Kindle is the way to go, unless you need a new computer.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version